What are your best potty training tips?

Did you have a hard time potty training? What worked?

Kristin_Z

Asked by Kristin_Z at 8:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't push. They'll push back more. Encourage always, but don't push. They like it to be their idea.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Come join ou group for great tips and advice. http://www.cafemom.com/group/52352
    Godspitgrl

Answer by Godspitgrl at 9:15 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Repetition
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No. not at all! Both were trained at 15-16mo and were fully doing it in 4 weeks,.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I haven't started potty training my son but they say the window of opportunity for potty training is between 2 1/2 and 3 yrs old...Good luck
    Alcavin08

Answer by Alcavin08 at 10:43 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i used a reward system, I have a sheet of paper on the bathroom wall, and when she would pee in the potty i would give her one sticker and she would stick it on and if she went poopie int eh pottie she owuld get 2 stickers... she is quite happy with this she tells me if she has to go pee/poop and when she is done she reminds me about the stickers.. she is now 2 years old and have no accidents during the daytime anymore ;:) Good Luck
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 12:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Instead of forcing a child to learn the potty wait until they are ready it will be a lot less stressful. Introduce them to the potty and ask occasionally if they are ready to try the potty? I found that it didn't take that long to housebreak a child when they were ready and there are a lot less accidents when they want to use the potty. This way I had no bed wetters. Also when they were ready I used an award system. Such as a dime if they went pee-pee and a quarter when they went poo-poo and they got to put there coins in there piggy bank and then when they were all done potty training and there were no accidents for 2 weeks I took them to the dollar store with there money and they could pick out something.
    chippies101

Answer by chippies101 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My son turns 3 today and he's finally doing really well with the potty - at least as far as I know (he doesn't live with me).
    I don't have any real tips, but I had a weird dream last night I figured I'd share.
    My son told me he had to use the potty, so I took him to the bathroom, and we ended up accidentally flushing my grandpa's dentures down the toilet.
    I don't know if my grandpa wears dentures, but I sure felt bad in my dream!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• well my babyboy is not potty trained yet so i hope i will potty train him when the time is right
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• BE PATIENT!!!
    DONT RUSH IT!!!
    PRAISE THE CHILD FOR TRYING AND ACTUALY DOING IT...
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 9, 2011