How do you not look frumpy?

I've gained some weight in my waist, and now my hourglass body is more of an H shape and some clothes even make me look muffin top. I'm used to being more slender, and knowing how to dress better to complement my body, but now, I am like post-pardum shape, and I tend to want to hide it in bigger shirts and skirts but that just makes me look frumpy. But I still feel frumpy when I look muffin top, so I need tips to look hip and flatter my figure, I notice women that are bigger than me, looking sexy and not frumpy in the least, I was wondering what kinds of tips you have?

Imamom4sure

Asked by Imamom4sure at 8:59 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• ok what i do..i'm 200 lbs, and sitll loosing weight yay me..ok off track sorry lol..i wear jeans that are a tiny bit loose and belt them, then i wear a good bra, sometimes a body shaper as well and i put a cami on then i put on either a shirt that is flowy and long or a tank top or tighter shirt with a jacket or open sweater :) wear some cute shoes and throw some make up on and your ready to go.
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 9:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• "Baby doll" style tops that are fitted at the bust and loose throughout were my "friend" after having my boys!! Also look for tie waist shirts and sweaters that you can continue to pull in as you return to your pre-baby size. Loose fitting layers with a little stretch to them and wide leg cropped pants will actually make you look slimmer than squeezing into clothes you're not ready for that create that muffin top! :o)

Kohl's and JC Penney have a lot of tops like I've described.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Wear higher waisted pants, wide straight legs, dark wash. Tops that draw emphasis on waist that flow away from tummy. Fitted jackets that give you the illusion of an hour glass shape.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Actually Nate Berkus had a show on looking good in jeans on Friday. One lady was complaining about having a muffin top and the "style expert" said that the jeans she was wearing were too small and didn't hit in the right place. She said the most flattering rise on jeans was when the top of the jeans hits two thumbs width below your belly button - maybe that will help?!

Answer by missanc at 9:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I am so glad I posted this, each of you have awesome idea's I haven't thought of!
    I'm gonna change my jeans! darker, looser and higher waisted, and straight legged. also, look into flattering bras and body shapers. and look at JC penny fashions, I'm not sure about the baby doll tops (but some times I look pregnant in those! but I might be surprised with the right styled kind) I also like the idea of wrap shirts that can shrink with me as I shrink! (I had my baby 2 years ago! I am not truly post pardum, just look it) To confess, I am unsure about wearing wider legged pants or higher waisted pants since I am also on the short side with a short waist, they didn't look good on me when I had an hourglass shape, but of course what used to look good no longer looks good with my new figure (that has been creeping up on me since I had my last baby, and especially since last November)
    Imamom4sure

Comment by Imamom4sure (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Missanc, it does help to know how high to go with the jeans, I know I don't want "mom jeans, but showing my waist is too frumpy! and my hair is tending towards frizzy and so that looks frumpy as well! LOL
    Imamom4sure

Comment by Imamom4sure (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It's really not about "mom jeans"... it's about finding a pair of jeans that don't make you look like you have a muffin top. That happens when your jeans aren't fitting you correctly. There are tons of styles out there. If you like comfort, Cold Water Creek makes a jean that is so soft, they feel like sweats. They don't fit around the hips, but rather the waist. Again, fitting around the hips is what creates that muffin look. Other than that, what about a pair of Nike style pants or something like that... or simply wear a dress slack. Jeans are weird.. I wish we could design our own! LOLL
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I never heard about cold water creek jeans, but I am gonna do a search and I do love comfort, and I don't know what a nike pant is. perhaps a search will help me there as well.. I think I may look way better in dress slacks, but I live in florida, and am a sahm.
    Imamom4sure

Comment by Imamom4sure (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You want jeans go straight off the hip, it gives you a nice clean long line, it'll make your legs look longer, hence making you look longer.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• cold water creek have lots of style ideas, and the nike pants remind me of yoga pants, and I'm so glad I posted this thread!
    Imamom4sure

Comment by Imamom4sure (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2011