Graphics Driver went out on my older laptop?

Tried downloading an updated one but it said it had the most recent one, then screen goes black. Laptop is a hand me down and is at least 5-7 years old if not older? do you think its worth it taking to a shop or should I just buy a new one. Don't even know what a graphics driver is, but thats what the screen said before it blacked out.

luvschocolate

Asked by luvschocolate at 9:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Technology

• Mine did the same thing a few weeks ago.. We bought a new one for me.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:29 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• A laptop that age isn't worth fixing. Far better to look at upgrading with a new one.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:29 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• With it being that old buy a new one. I'm a huge fan of mac's, for many reasons, but I know many are turned off by the price. So if you're looking for cheaper, buy a PC, on sales you can find really nice ones for around 400. If you're wanting durability and longevity go mac. You'll pay more but I'm going on 10 years with the same mac laptop and I've never had to replace anything. I've made upgrades because I wanted them, but nothing has ever broke, and it's never had a virus. But to replace a graphics drive on a laptop that's 5-7 years old, waste of money, imo.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I agree with above poster, probably not worth putting money into a lap that old because something else is bound to go on it next. Best bet is probably going with a new or refurbished one.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Keep in mind that laptops are not easy to upgrade. Desktops are more upgrade friendly.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2011