Anyone ever had an abnormal papsmear?

Has anyone ever had an abnormal pap smear? My doctor said that I had one today and I'm concerned. Be honest with me, what were the results or why was it caused?

Thanks,
Dani

lovetoteachec

Asked by lovetoteachec at 8:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Health

• Abnormal pap smears detect precancerous changes of the cervix caused by a virus called human papilloma virus (HPV). HPV is sexually transmitted but men don't have symptoms so it's almost impossible to know if/when you were exposed. The virus can be dormant for years before causing abnormal paps. Most women under age 24 clear the virus out of their system within two years. So if you just have mild changes they will most likely go away. Although you'll need regular follow-up pap smears to verify they're going away. If you have more severe changes of the cervix it may need treating.

You can take folic acid 1-4 mg/day to help your body rid itself of abnormal paps. Also if you're a smoker, try to quit because smoking accelerates the action of HPV.

Let me know if you have any followup questions.
    healthEwoman

Answer by healthEwoman at 9:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I don't know what causes it, but I had one with my first preg. and it came back normal after birth. Same happened with 2nd preg. and it is still abnormal (2 years later). I have had colposcopies and biopsys and the doc keeps telling me I'm okay just keep a check on it. I have to have paps every 6 months and then they come back abnormal then we go the colpo and biopsy route again. So far they haven't found anything. Don't worry to much, God Bless
    ketha04

Answer by ketha04 at 8:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Yes... stay on top of whatever the DR says.... I didn't. I had to have a complete hysterectomy in 06
    my5monsters

Answer by my5monsters at 8:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I've never had a NORMAL pap! Some women develop ASCUS cells (atypical squamous cells of unknown significance), that are simply an indication that further testing may be necessary. It could also be a sign of HPV which would need to be treated early because it can often lead to cervical cancer. On the bright side, many times an abnormal pap this time, doesn't necessarily mean you'll have an abnormal pap next time. There are many factors. Mine are all related to heredity... Thanks Mom!
    OregonJeka

Answer by OregonJeka at 8:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I had one. Had a biopsy that revealed the intra-uterine cells were on the outside!! So onto the camera in the uterus thing (is it called a colposcopy?). I was LOADED with uterine polyps. D&C...they all grew back rapidly....had my uterus removed.I have all my other parts....cervix, tubes, ovaries.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Ok I have been having paps for years but after my first child I had an abnormal pap and I freaked out thinking it was cancer. So you go in and he scrapes (colpo) and sends it off for a biopsy. Mine turned out to be nothing. I have to go back every 6 months and he checks but so far everything has been fine. Yours will too. Someone told me it has to do with having sex. I have no idea if that is true or not. After I started asking women about it there were several women that I knew that had to have the same thing done.
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 9:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• it could be hpv or pre cancer cells, i had an abnormal test, i got pregnant and after having the baby, got tested again, it came back normal. you should be ok, it prob one or the two or both
    SHADYZGIRL1983

Answer by SHADYZGIRL1983 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I've had abnormal paps and found out it was because of HPV. I'm fine and alive and don't have cancer. You'll probably be fine :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I have had several. They are very common. My OB rechecks me in 6 months to see if it is still abnormal or not since MANY things can cause it to come back abnormal. Thankfully, all of my rechecks came back normal. If they wouldn't of they would've done the biospy thing.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:15 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Yes, and he said all I needed to do is limit sex partners(I'm monogamous by the way..lol), get plenty of rest, don't smoke, and to take care of myself. He said it was something my immunity will most likely fix.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 22, 2008