Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What, if anything, can I do about this woman?? EDITED.....

There is a woman who lives across the street and has a 3 yr old. I know her just by our kids playing with one another. Anyway I found out the other day she just has her kid is just eating 2x a day sometimes 3x. Little girl drinks root beer, milk sometimes, lots of kool-aid and boxes and boxes of cookies, one cupboard just has chips, little cupcakes, cake mixes ect. She keeps her kid up until 1 or 2 am and then if the little girl doesn't fall asleep when mom wants her too, she gives the girl benadryl (?). I don't think there really a law on this kinda stuff, although it does boarder on neglect. I find it awful a 'mom' would do this child! The only reason I even found out any of this is when I watched her daughter for a few hrs. When I went to fix the girl some dinner, I did not find anything remotely healthy! Not even a stray can of green beans!! Frozen dinners seem to be the norm in this house. All this woman seems to want to add to the obesity epidemic !! Any ideas anybody? Or should I just get my nose out of her business, which BTW is hard for me to do when I see a baby whio might die before she 10 of high blood pressure.. How can I approach her without offending her and talk about nutrition or whatever for both mom and child?? Without ANY intrest is taking her baby away!!

 Please re-read REAL carefully, and u all know who u are! There is no mention of  CPS or any other authorities in this question!


Answer Question

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 34 (66,351 Credits)
Answers (17)
  • Speak to someone at your local child protective services office and tell them what is going on. I think she should be reported.

    Answer by neebug3766 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • yeah, mind your own business

    Answer by shay1130 at 10:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • honestly... you just have to keep your nose out of it.

    Nothing you stated constitues her daughter being taken away from her.

    Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 10:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • I would report her, but I don't think there is much they can do. She has a roof over her head, food to eat, and clothing. That's all that's required by law. Still, reporting her might get some help in parenting for her. You can ask.

    Answer by Kimimale at 10:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • how do you know she is giving the kid benedryl? from the sounds of it it seems like you are pissed at what the mother is feeding the child and you just want to throw the benedryl on top of everything just to make your case sound better...if i was that mother and you came knocking on my door i would just claim you were the nosy ass neighbor always trying to cause trouble..that would be pretty easy for a case worker to see.

    Answer by shay1130 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • While feeding a child nothing but junk is not illegal it is also not great. You could try calling CPS and see if there is any grounds for filing a complaint. It is a hard position to be in.

    Answer by kerijeanbean at 10:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • you can call your local police department and have them do a well child check. they will go in and inspect the living conditions and everything to see if cps needs to be involved.

    Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • I am not looking at taking her child away!!! That thought NEVER even crossed my mind! I am upset at the thought anybody would even think that!! Feeding her child junk isn't illegal, and it does boarder on neglect, but it doesn't require to call it into CPS. Also there wasn't any where in my post about calling CPS!! I was wondering what could I DO! Shes only looks to be about 22 or 23yrs old. The thing about the benedryl was when her daughter came to me and told me this is what her mama gives her before she goes to bed. I asked the mom, and she said yes cause she wanted to go to bed and her daugher doesn't on some nights. As for the home, its clean child is clean ect. Should I offer her advice or even give her the addy for this site? If the child was being mistreated in anyway, my 1st though would to report her to CPS, not for a poor choice in food.

    Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 10:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • Sorry but I'd call cps. Someone needs to check in to this.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • well, I think that yu are judging her! I have 5 kids, and I happen to have a snack cabinet, andmykids eat 3 tmes a day and have only 2 small snacks! I mean that is a personal choice. I dont thinkthat only frozen food is good, but it isnt a crime, and neiother is late bedtimes! Mine are in bed by 6 PM BUT I know allot of people whose kids are u really late ( again just a choice, not illegal.) I agree with shay I think you you might be a food zellot, and are pissed and trying to take it out on her in anywy you can! I happen to be a very strict parent, but I am also a good person and dont judge over stupid things! Good luck, and work on you before you judge others!

    Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.