Why are so many people against my son playing with dolls?

I would like to add that he is the only boy in the house, he says that his doll"Dave" is his boy(plays daddy). My husband did and no one would dare call him un-masculine. Also I feel that if it encourages him to be as good of a father as his dad why should I stop him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Good for him!
    Don't stop him.
    Anonymous

• I let my boys have dolls. Who the heck cares?! My son wanted a baby doll for Christmas, so guess what...he got one! He is not feminine at all. I wish people would stop trying to mold their kids according to society and let them be just what they are...kids! It's not going to hurt them to play with a doll...good grief!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Don't stop him. My son has a baby doll. He likes to play Daddy. I think it's important for boys to play with dolls. Just like it prepares little girls for motherhood, it can prepare little boys for fatherhood.

If someone complains to you then point out the "boy toys" he plays with. Cars, trucks, trains, balls, etc. Tell them that in this day and age boys can play with dolls and still be boyish.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 10:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• On the flip side no one thinks it's wrong if a little girl plays with trucks, swords, guns (you know those things that are label as "boy" toys)

I got tired of people pointing out that my son is playing with barbies, dolls, house, etc. So I finally just asked what's the difference between that and my DD playing cars???

That shut them-up.... Honestly there is nothing wrong with it in my opinion.... My son when he plays pretends he is the Dad...although at times DD and him will "switch" roles and he pretends to be the mom and she pretends to be the dad...it's hilarious when they do that...
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• people dont like my son playing with dolls because they think it is a sign that he will be gay. well i say to hell with them! my son likes to play with dolls and he is 2. he liked their hair and just playing with them. and ive also found that if my husband and i decide to get pregnant again, giving him a baby doll would be perfect to get him to understand that mommy is having a baby and it will prep him for how to act around the baby.
    annak4404

Answer by annak4404 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• let's look at it we give little girls dolls, they learn nuturing behaviors. We don't want our boys to learn this WHY? as a mother of three sons they all had dolls regardless of how nuts it made my husband and gee not a gay boy in the bunch..imagine that
    Anonymous

• I agree with you; I think it teaches boys to be better fathers, more in touch with their children. I think that most people are probably afraid that it will turn your son gay or something. Did you ever see the old children's video called "Free to Be, You and Me"? It came out in the early 70's (I remember watching it in school as a child) and it had several cameos of famous stars from that era, including a young Michael Jackson, Marlo Thomas, Alan Alda, and others. Some of the skits in the video were live-action, and some were cartoons. There was one particular skit (cartoon) about a boy named William who wanted to play with a doll, and he was teased about it ("a doll, a doll, William wants a doll", they would sing) and his parents were criticized. It had a very nice ending. I think you should watch it if you get a chance.
    KiraJenLove

Answer by KiraJenLove at 11:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My oldest loves action figures. But i feel there is nothing wronge with it. Boys become fathers and fathers help take care of the baby too. I think its really neat.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• It doesn't bother me.
    Bevner

Answer by Bevner at 11:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I don't know why some people(mostly men)have a problem with it, I don't but hubby is totally against it! He always says, "Boys don't play with dolls, they play with action figures!!!" I just laugh him off.
    supermom_1969

Answer by supermom_1969 at 12:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2008