More vitamin D

I breastfeed and want to add more vitamin D to out diet. What is there I can eat? I have a problem with vitamin D milk.

starbucks_mama

Asked by starbucks_mama at 8:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Vitamin D is plentiful in "oily fish" such as sardines and salmon. Each serving contains about 300 I.U. of vitamin D. You can also take oral vitamin D supplements which come in 2000 I.U. tablets. One daily is plenty.

New evidence shows vitamin D is important for mood and can minimize or prevent seasonal depression. You can learn more on my blog, healthewoman.org (type vitamin D into the search field)

Hope this helps!
    healthEwoman

Answer by healthEwoman at 8:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• You could try a supplement. There is more and more research showing the major benefits of vitamin D, in fact they have raised the recommended daily intake to 1000 (from 400). Omega-3's are really important when you are nursing too, because baby needs them for brain development - the body will give the baby what it needs, so your brain will suffer (temporarily!).
    mnrock

Answer by mnrock at 10:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• be careful of supplements - your body can only absorb maybe 5% to 10% of what is actually in it - the human body can only absorb organic forms of vitaminsand minerals, meaning it has to be from plant form or fish/meat form. if you eat properly, fresh fruits and as organic as possible and the same with meats & wild caught fish - your body will get everything it needs Naturally - not synthetically... i have to eat as organically as possible - and have researched vitamins and minerals - what a scam they are -

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 2:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• avoid calcium with vit d, as in do not take or drink at same time because they block the absorbtion of each other. google it, or another search and there will be tons of ways to add vit d, good luck hon. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2009