How do you get a child to respect you?

How do you get a child of any age to listen to you or respect you? I have children from ages 1 to 6 and I can't even get the oldest 3 of course to even look at me when I am talking to them...I can tell them to do something 100 times and they won't budge but if their father tells them to the do it almost immediately (with a little complaining as they are doing it)

mamacam7

Asked by mamacam7 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Are you a SAHM? I found when I became a SAHM my kids listened to me less in the beginning because I was always with them and sometimes it was easier to just do it for them then to fight them about doing it. Some things I have learned. Make them repeat what you tell them, give them 2 chances to do it and then shut off whatever they are doing, be consistent, do not make idle threats. Another thing that worked great when my kids got older was a marble jar. We got different colored marbles for each child. Once they did their chores or did something nice they got to put a marble in the jar. If they misbehaved or didn't do their chores, we took a marble out. After "X" amount of marbles they got a special treat, like going for ice cream or their favorite dinner.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• If they know you won't do anything about it, they will neglect to do what you say. Tell them once or twice ONLY to do something, then stand and watch them do it. You have to be firm and consistent. If they run all over you now and you don't correct it, just wait until they are 13. Take away priveledges, timeout, deny snacks or desserts, go to bed early, whatever it takes. Tell them you are tired of being ignored and not minded. Get mean (in a loving way). Be Firm.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 10:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You TEACH them to respect you. They learn my imitation. Do you look at them when they speak to you? Treat them the way you want to be treated.
    Anonymous

• They learn a lot by how you and your husband talk. Does he talk to you with respect, in your point of view? If not, the kids are learning from him. Children learn what they live.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• consistancy ! All 4 of mine ( the 5th is a baby) listen, but it took allot of wrk on mypart.... :)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Be consistent with everything! As much as you possibly can, anyway. Consistent in following through with things you'll do and I don't just mean discipline. Children respect when they are respected and are listened to. When they know they can count on you to do what you say you'll do (in all areas!)
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 3:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011