Inducing Labor puts Mom & Baby at Risk

It is no secret that pitocin, a synthetic form of oxytocin is not an FDA approved drug, yet countless of OB/GYN's will continue to induce moms for non-medical reasons. Inducing labor for non-medical reasons increases the mother's risk for blood loss, c-sections and extended stay at the hospital. Researchers found that about 34 percent of women who decided to be induced ended up having a cesarean section, while only 20 percent of women who labored naturally on their own ended up with a cesarean delivery. This is also concerning as the United States still ranks 49th in maternal and infant mortality rates out of all the other industrialized countries.

This study comes from the Journal of Reproductive Medicine out of University of Rochester Medical Center. The doctor needs to ask if the risk outweighs the benefit and when it comes to first time mothers, even if they go past their "predicted due date". As working parents may get ansy in waiting for their baby to be born, there is a reason why babies need to stay full-term. Some doctors will wait 42-weeks which is recommended by the ACOG, however, many are not abiding by their own standard rules. Babies that have been forced out by induction also need more oxygen and may end up in the NICU. We have to question our motive for wanting to induce, if it is for personal reasons, then one has to ask if it worth putting the newborn's health at risk, which also increases hospital costs.

Pitocin has many side effects including uterine rupture without a previous c-section. This is the same reason why doctors discourage VBAC's (Vaginal Birth After C-section) for it's increased risk for uterine rupture. (This risk of an uternine rupture with a VBAC is less than 1 percent). Pitocin also disrupts the mother's own ability to produce her own natural oxytocin, a reason why many medical professionals encourage natural labor to begin on its own. For first time mothers, we need to see how the mother's body is working on its own before putting both mother and baby at risk.

What can you do? It is strongly encouraged to have an open conversation with your healthcare provider about induction. Be specific about not wanting an induction, improve your baby's oxygen flow by delaying the clamping of the cord whether induced or not and if your doctor does not want to wait until you are past 42-weeks, then seek a second opinion of another healthcare provider.

Read the complete study below:
http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/index.cfm?id=3120

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was induced and they didn't use pitocin. And it is approved by the FDA as well.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/97/18261-s011_pitocin.pdf
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Since my insurance covered my pitocin when I was induced, pretty sure it's approved by the FDA....
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 10:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I haven't looked it up in a while, but I think it's NOT FDA-approved for elective (non-medically necessary) inductions.
    Most use of Pitocin is not with a medical need, but rather to augment or because of anticipating a complication (when none currently exists).

Thanks for sharing!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:34 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Pitocin is an FDA approved drug however it is NOT approved for elective (non-medically indicated) inductions.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:35 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I was induced and had no problems at all.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:59 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I was induced as well with Pitocin and I was just fine as well as my daughter. My deliver if there is ever such a thing was PERFECT it was painless and very quick.
    NewMayMommy_25

Answer by NewMayMommy_25 at 12:52 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• And the question is?
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:28 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Thank you! I was going to talk about being induced, but now I am just going to wait it out!
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 1:55 AM on Mar. 7, 2011