Okay my daughter is with me all day. But yet her first word was "daddy". Even when she goes to visit my grandparents she will go to everyone before she comes to me. Is there a way that I can bond more with her or is this normal?

mzangie1011

Asked by mzangie1011 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A lot of this is very normal. Look at it this way, when you and your dh go to a party, do you talk to your friends, or do you spend all your time just sitting with your dh? Of course you love him best, but you see him more than you do the other people there, and you like to spend time with them, too, right? :-)

As far as why she says Daddy first - that also makes a lot of sense if you think about it. How many times a day do you say things like "when Daddy comes home, we're going to have dinner" or "Daddy should be home soon" or "Daddy is at work now".... Plus, the "Da" sound is a lot easier to make than the "Ma" sound (one just moves your tongue, sort of "bouncing" it off the roof of your mouth, the other requires you to use your lips more and takes more skill to make the sound).

I know it can be frustrating sometimes, but try not to let it get to you, this is normal :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• If she spends most of her time with you that would explain it, imho.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I have been a full time SAHM since my 22 mnth old DD was born. And she does the same thing. But when she wants to o tbed, she wants me to tuck her in, so i know its just the excitement of new people. And my DD said dada before mama too. Dont worry about it. She knows who her mommy is. And if she wants to go see everyone else when you visit, sit back and enjoy some rest. Enjoy having a conversatio with an adult while she is visiting!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My son does the same thing. I honestly think that it is because they spend so much time with us that when other people are around they want to play with them...just so it is someone new. I wouldnt worry about it =) You dont need to bond any more then you already are.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think it is normally. My husband didn't get to meet our son until he was 5 months old. After only knowing daddy for a few days he reached for him before he reached for me.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:19 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I'll just be glad when she starts saying mommy or something. I try not to show it when other people are around but it really hurts my feelings. Last Thanksgiving she went to spend the holiday in AR with my folks when I went down there mid December she acted as if she didn't even know me, but when her dad showed up a couple of days after Christmas she became his shadow. I wanted to cry so bad.
    mzangie1011

Comment by mzangie1011 (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Dont worry....Daddy is just easier to say than Mommy. My 2nd son had a speech therapist and babies usually even babble "da da" before "ma ma" and even the sound "ba ba"
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• most kids say daddy first bc its easier...
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Think about this too: When she's fallen down and hurt herself who does she want to make it better? If she's had a nightmare and needs cuddles who does she turn to? When she's sick and needs more loves and cuddles who does she want?

And like other moms have said, when you're out and about visiting enjoy being able to have a conversation without being interrupted every few seconds with "mommy! Mommy!"
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:18 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Wee to me if shes home with you all day then you two bond just well. and she just wants bonding time with some one else. And as far as her saying da da first. I know how that goes. Hurt my7 feelings all four times with all the hard work that we put in right ladys. LOL But i just think its easier for them to say than ma ma because that would cause them to have to form their mouths to pronounce the letterm. And they havent learned how to do that yet. Whne shes calling your name all day then youll wish shed never learned it. LMAO
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2011