Drinking and nursing?

Is it okay to drink even while you are nursing? (pumping or breastfeeding)?

kristina.de

Asked by kristina.de at 10:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breasts have milk glands- they are not bladders. So the alcohol in your system doesn't sit in your boobs and build up. There is never a need to pump and dump. If you abstain from nursing and use pumped milk, you may want to express for comfort if you become engorged.

Safe to drive, safe to nurse. That's 1 drink for most people.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Yes. As long as you are sober enough to safely hold your baby, you can safely nurse. A very very small fraction of the concentration in your blood will be in your milk, but it's not enough to harm Baby. However, if you are drinking, do not co-sleep or bed-share or whatever you call it, as you may not be as sensitive to your baby as you usually are, while you sleep it off.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:35 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• According to La Leche League and most nursing experts, as long as you are not drinking on a daily or even a regular basis, and as long as you don't have more than 1 (or it might be 2, I can't remember) then it's ok. However - the thing with that is, when it says 1 drink, that is not something like one Long Island Iced Tea, or a double shot or something that has a higher alcohol content in it per drink.

It's like one glass of wine, one beer, that sort of thing.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:35 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I dont know please let me know when you gte the propr answer. I am planning to breast feed this baby that i am haveing and it will be my first time doing so.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Someone the other day had a question about a beer a day to increase milk supply and mothers were actually saying that it works and encouraging her and sharing their experiences with her about it.
    I don't think it's right to drink while nursing...whatever you put in your body goes to that baby.
    Anonymous

• My nurse told me to wait at least 2 hours after having 1 drink before breasfeeding. I never had a drink while breastfeeding, though because I did not want to risk it except for on one special occasion where I had a rum and coke. I waited an entire 8 hours and even pumped and dumped my milk 2 hours after the drink so as not to take any chances. My daughter drank previously pumped milk from the bottle during those 8 hours.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Yes. If you're not trashed, it's usually fine. My rule is, 1-2 drinks, nurse, but any more then that, wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Simple rule. Safe to drive, safe to nurse.

If you can't gauge when you're safe to drive, skip the alcohol.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:53 AM on Mar. 7, 2011