8 yr old won't stay the night

My 8 yr old son will not go to a friends home and stay the night. He's called to come back home both times. Myolder two daughter go to slumber parties, ages 9 and 15. He sees that they have fun and come back home. He loves to have friends come over and stay at our home.

BUT a few, friends are asking "Why don't you stay at my house?" He stays with his father on his weekends and at my mom's without a problem. (actually, he hasn't stayed at my mom's in awhile) but he has in the past.

He's over at a neighbor's, right accross the street. I'm going to go get him at 9:30. If he doesn't ask to come home sooner.

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• Some people are like that. Up until I was 13 I was the same way, I forced myself through a few rough nights and finally got past it. He may get homesick and that is hard for kids to adjust to. The reason he stays at his dad's is because it's his parent and he probably has a bed over there something that belongs to him. At a friends house it's not his bed not his family none of the comforts of his home that he is used to. It's not a big deal , it's ok if he never does slumber parties.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:03 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My dd who is 7 won't either she did when she was little at my moms or my sis house but now she won't she we don't push it I just think it is some sort of seperation anxiety. We don't let our kids stay over at friends houses only family to many things can happen even if you think you know the family
    Anonymous

• Girls do different things at slumber parties, it feels very grown-up to them. He may just not be comfortable sleeping somewhere so unfamiliar to him. I wouldn't be concerned, but it wouldn't hurt to try to talk to him about it.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• And? So he doesn't like to sleep in a strange house without his parents. No big deal. It's not like he will suffer permanent damage if he never stays over with friends.
    Crazy-Steph

Answer by Crazy-Steph at 11:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• How do I or he explain that to the other boy in the neighborhood, who want him to stay at their house for once. Without making him look like a baby or them teeseing him.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:32 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I have 2 daughters and they both did the same thing. I whole heartedly believe it's all about the security. My oldest who is now 14 did this to me up until she was 12. Some children I think LIKE the IDEA of staying teh night, but when it comes down to it--it's not their home, not their bed, it's not familiar. It will get better, just some kids take longer. All we can do as a parent (and yes it does get bothersome at 1a.m) is be there for them when they want to come home. Tuck them in, kiss them and say Good night..
    shennon

Answer by shennon at 1:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Perhaps you can invite the other boy to sleep at your house instead.
    shennon

Answer by shennon at 1:16 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• The other kids alway stay at our house - they are asking why won't you stay at our house - I don't want to embarras him in front of his friends, BUt the friends keep asking.. I understand them wanting him to come to thier house for once.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 2:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2008