Emotional eating. looking for support/advice

nothing makes me feel as good as eating. when im stressed out and feeling so down, i just want to eat comfort food. its so bad. its such an over whelming feeling of comfort that i KNOW it eat emotionally. its SUCH a problem that i can't help but recongize it. but i can't stop because part of me doesnt want to because it makes me feel so good.
im doing weight watchers
i run a mile at least twice a week, sometimes three, and i try to do four or five.
but i fail everyday because theres always something during the day that i eat that is horrible.
i'm SO stressed out this week because i hav eso much going on and finals are coming up.
i guess a few kind words might make me feel a little better, more impowered to resist the temptations,
or tips on how to try and get away from emotional eating.

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I'm an emotional eater too. It doesn't matter if I'm happy, sad, or mad. It doesn't matter if I'm grieving or celebrating. I've always been like this and its a hard habit to break.

So to make things a little healthier, I've simply stopped keeping junk food in the house. I my fridge stocked up with fresh fruits and veggies. Now when I'm stressed out I can, for the most part, eat as much as I want because what I'm eating is healthy. I've actually lost 10 lbs in the last 3 weeks by doing this. I also keep a bag of pretzels and some popcorn around. They may not be fruits and veggies, but they are much healthier than the chocolate i would normally eat.
    KristyB

Answer by KristyB at 10:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I should also added that when you feel like eating because of your emotions, its good to distract yourself. When I feel like eating and I know that I'm not truly hungry, I'm just bored or emotional for whatever reason, I do something to keep my mind off of food. I will read a book, surf the internet, exercise, clean out that closet I've been meaning to get to.

Just do your best to keep busy and when you just HAVE to eat for emotional reason, reach for for something healthy.
    KristyB

Answer by KristyB at 10:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I have been doing the same thing lately since I've given birth and am on a new form of birth control. I don't know if it's my hormones or what but I seem to be eating non stop just for the satisfaction of eating and the food is good and comforting. I really don't want to gain the pregnancy weight I lost back either so I'm not sure what to do. I'm with you though, good luck!
    tgh46737

Answer by tgh46737 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I am just as bad. I discovered buying the slim fast bars help alot, or buying the powder stuff and getting no sugar added, low cal ice cream and making a shake. Or buying strawberries and putting in and make a smoothie, or buy some peaches do the same thing or get a little of the whipping cream and get peaches and cream. Still somewhat healthy, and not as fattening.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Emotional eating is very common....I'm an emotional eater as well. Other than finding out which emotion is causing you to eat (in your case stress) and trying to deal with it, there's nothing more that someone can do. Stress is a BIG one, it's my pitfall as well. I just try to repeat my mantra "This too, shall pass" every time a piece of cheesecake is calling my name...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...but, the more I say this to myself, the LESS I reach for the cheesecake...it's an uphill battle, but with persistence you can do it!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:15 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• you just described me!!  I discovered buying the slim fast bars help alot, or buying the powder stuff and getting no sugar added, low calorie ice cream and making a shake. Or buying strawberries and putting in and make a smoothie, or buy some peaches do the same thing or get a little of the whipping cream and get peaches and cream. Still somewhat healthy, and not as fattening. I know the feeling and I have found that if I get outside and do something even if it is just walking around my yard it helps, try to do something else when you want to reach for food for comfort.  I am here if you want to talk

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:29 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Develop a new habit in place of eating. Such as eat a few sunflower seeds, jump rope for 3 minutes every time you feel stressed or spend some time beating the s*#t out of a punching bag. Good Luck!!
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 2:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Something you can do is when you go grocery shopping do NOT get those comfort foods. Leave the ice cream, the chips, the cookies, and candy on the shelf. If you can, avoid those aisle altogether. The fact that you KNOW you're an emotional eater is the first and biggest step. Good luck on your journey. You'll reach the goal you want if you have the determination and motivation.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:04 AM on Mar. 18, 2011