Did you regret working once your babies weren't babies anymore?

I have a 1 and 2 year old and work full time. I long to stay at home with them, but need to work so we can buy a house. I can't wait til we have it, and I can stop working. I just hope getting a house 6 months earlier is worth all the lost time. We are so crowded in our condo. Our 1 year old sleeps in her crib in our bedroom. My 2 year old has a bedroom, but it is small. We are cramped and can barely move at home.

JessalynnJade

Asked by JessalynnJade at 8:43 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• Time with your young children is precious. If I could have taken time off to stay at home with my kids, I would have, but I was the sole income earner for our family.
    On the other hand, I can understand your need for more space. However, I bet your 1 and 2-year old don't notice how much space they have; what they notice is how much time their mom and dad spend with them. If you have other reasons for wanting to go back to work (such as your mental health) I'd take this into consideration. However, if it's just to have a house or more "stuff" I'd think twice because that's can be a trap. Just the maintenance on a house can break the bank if you're on the edge of being able to afford the mortgage. I definitely wouldn't buy a house until the market finds a bottom. Good luck and let me know what you decide.
    healthEwoman

Answer by healthEwoman at 8:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• When I had to work I found myself appreciating our time together more. Instead of cleaning the house we would do something fun. So as long as you have "quality" time I think you will be fine. Sometimes it's just not about quantity ya know

Anonymous

• I worked when they were little and quit when my oldest started kindergarten. I don't regret it at all because, honestly, they needed me more as they got older than when they were younger. At infant/toddler age, they just need someone to feed them and change them. It's when they get older that they need someone there to teach them and direct them in life.

As healthEwoman said, time with your children is precious but it can be done whether you work or not. The guilt is not worth it; you're trying to do what's best for your family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Nov. 22, 2008