If you've had acne trouble as an adult, what helped you the most?

Any specific products or routines or anything like that?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 10:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Diet is so important. I gave up dairy and drink fluids. I use noncomedogenic (Cetaphil cleanser) and CeraVe lotion on my face. Both mild. Scrubbing the heck out of it doesn't help. I've fought it my whole life so I have a dermatologist and use a topical cream which is great. If you can see a derm, I'd go to get even a one time bit of advice. There are mild topical creams you can use that help with bacteria, etc. Otherwise, take a look at what you eat. Also, for an actual pimple, I put tea tree oil directly on it. It's AMAZING for speeding up the life span of a zit and helping it heal w/o a scar. Really!
    Anonymous

• I have PCOS as well, and have bad adult acne if I am not taking the birth control pill - It is the only thing which controls it - Right now I haven't got any blemishes at all, but if I go off the pill I have huge cysts - awful. It may not work for you, but would be worth a try, I take Triphasil
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• diet change, destressing, and hormone check are the best ways to control acne since they are the leading causes of it.

topical cleansers may help ance tone down a bit but it wont cure it.
    also getting a facial. they can determine skin type and condition and offer the best products for your skin typ and conditon,, pm me for more info
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I tried Proactiv (both the original benzoyl peroxide and the salicylic acid versions) and reacted horribly, breaking out like crazy from it. The thing that has helped me the most is making a toner from tea tree oil mixed with water. I started out about 8/1, but my skin started getting too dry, so now I use 9 parts water and 1 part tea tree oil.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Nothing has helped a huge amount. Mostly keeping my face clean, sunscreen and clearasil and neosporin if it is really bad. I have PCOS, which makes it worse. I swear I'm going to be 80 and have acne.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• The only thing I found that helped and also impoved my skin was the Pro-active stuff. TYhe OTC stuff always dried out my skin despite lotions, even using sensitive skin stuff.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I use Velocity by Mary Kay with Blemish Control Toner. If you use it twice a day it works very well to get it under control and then use it once a day when you take a shower. The entire program will cost aobut $35 and it lasts for several months and they also have an acne treatment gel that works better than the OTC stuff.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Three things have helped mine so much that it's almost nonexistent now. The oil cleansing method, African black soap, and taking a high quality cod liver oil.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I have had acne from the age of 12 to the age of 24yrs. So I gave proactive a shot and it really worked for me, and now I am 28yrs old and do not use any acne products. Just face cleanser to get the make up off.
    obenblue

Answer by obenblue at 10:00 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I never ever had any type of problem with acne when I was a teen and then BAM when I turned 32 I started breaking out like crazy. I even got these horrible cyst type things that never came to a head but would stick around for a really long time. I got Proactive and I swear my skin cleared up within a week. My skin is back to normal now so I don't use it any more but that stuff seriously saved my face :)
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:22 AM on Mar. 7, 2011