SPORTS VS. TOY GUNS

ALRIGHT. SO I DONT BELIEVE IN TOY GUNS, BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT VIOLENCE IS A BEHAVIOR THAT IS TAUGHT. HOWEVER I WANT TO GET MY CHILD INTO BOXING. BECAUSE I THINK IT'D BE GOOD FOR HIM. AS WELL AS FOOTBALL WHEN HE GETS A LITTLE OLDER. HOWEVER I WAS TALKING TO MY NEIGHBOR THE OTHER NIGHT AND SHE SAID ITS THE SAME THING. GUNS VS. SPORTS? IS THAT TEACHING THEM VIOLENCE?

MommaBear1129

Asked by MommaBear1129 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• violence does not have to do anything w/ boxing or football OR guns if a child is taught correctly!
    i am a hunter. i was taught to have respect for guns; to be used as they were intended and not for pure violence. guns don't make a person violent, just like sports don't. I may have enough rifles & shot guns & ammo to seriously harm someone... but i am not violent. we hunt & shot at a range.
    if you imprint on your child that all guns are violent &scary, then you are only breeding fear and fear leads to ignorance.don't get me wrong, i'm not saying you are ignorant. just please try to be open minded.
    if slamming them into the ground & stealing their ball or full out punching them in the face isn't violent in nature, then i don't know what is. BUT it's all in the manner of which it is taught and the expectations that go w/ the teaching.
    a.butler

Answer by a.butler at 10:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Violence is taught. If you beat him, he may grow up to beat the people in his life too. If you let him watch TV & movies filled with violence (of any sort), he will be more violent.
    Many studies have shown that toy guns do NOT cause violent play. If a child wants a toy gun, they will make one out of anything handy - a barbie, a piece of toast, a stick. Children who play cops and robbers or alien invaders do not grow up to shoot people any more often that kids who don't play those games.
    Will sports cause violence? It depends a lot on the coach. Some coaches have a win at any cost attitude. More often the parents have that attitude and are the ones getting violent. Remember, many kids sports are banning parents. The parents aren't allowed to watch the games because they cause too many problems and the police have to be called too often!
    Where do kids learn violence? From their toys or from their parents?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Those are aggressive sports. If you ever watch even young children play hockey or football, you will see that it is aggressive. However it will not teach them to be violent individuals. Learning violence does not come from even playing with guns. My husband works for the sheriffs dept so we have guns in our home. Our kids do not even think twice about them. I agree with the other post that violence is taught on other levels. Watching movies or video games that are violent can desensitize children. I would be more concerned about that then learning boxing. If anything boxing will teach discipline to your child. Good luck!

Ikette

Answer by Ikette at 10:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• what r u going to tell him when the neighbor kids have toy guns and he doesnt. and when i was young we used our imagination we used our fingers and made a gun so come on not being rude you got to let them be kids and kids arent violent unless they are taught to be
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• While boxing and football are aggressive sports, if children are taught properly they aren't going to go around punching and tackling others, they learn that it is a part of the sport, not things to do outside of those areas.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2008