How much vitamin D are you taking? Might be of interest....

News Release

Date: February 22, 2011

Higher Vitamin D Intake Needed to Reduce Cancer Risk

Researchers at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine and Creighton University School of Medicine in Omaha have reported that markedly higher intake of vitamin D is needed to reach blood levels that can prevent or markedly cut the incidence of breast cancer and several other major diseases than had been originally thought. The findings are published February 21 in the journal Anticancer Research.

While these levels are higher than traditional intakes, they are largely in a range deemed safe for daily use in a December 2010 report from the National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine.

“We found that daily intakes of vitamin D by adults in the range of 4000-8000 IU are needed to maintain blood levels of vitamin D metabolites in the range needed to reduce by about half the risk of several diseases - breast cancer, colon cancer, multiple sclerosis, and type 1 diabetes,”

LINK:
http://health.ucsd.edu/news/2011/02-22-vitamin-D-cancer-risk.htm

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 11:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Health

• I am taking 4000. My doc tested my D levels during my yearly physical, because I wasn't feeling well, and I was very low. I feel TONS better now. She says that it could take 6 or more months of that dose for me to catch up.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Not only does it help to reduce your cancer risk but for those that have severe asthma it is supposed to help reduce the amount of symptoms that you have.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I take 50,000 IU every week right now. I have to do this for a month and then go to every other week.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 8:06 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• coala, I didn't know that! Very interesting. The D thing is so important and I feel like people don't realize it. Maybe I'm aware cause I live in the Pacific NW, not much sun.
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2011