How come when i tell my partner something he just stares at the tv and doesnt answer even tho i know he heard me

that is so disrespectful. he always says i need to give him time to think but i gave him a whole minute which is a SGINIFICANT amount of time for a conversation. does anyone else have this problem of NO RESPONSE like im talking to a wall.

Liz4Life

Asked by Liz4Life at 11:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• haha - it isn't any more disrespectful than you plonking down in the middle of a show he's watchiexpecting his undivided attention. So often I see this question & I wonder what planet people are on. This is a person, someone who has the right to choose whether he wants to engage in a conversation. Could it be that what is a significant topic to you is totally unimportant to him, or is it something you have discussed to death & he knows there is no easy answer, or any answer that you will be happy with. Are you asking his opinion on something or are you nagging for an argument. Guys aren't stupid, they know when we are looking for a fight & they will avoid it. My tip.. if it is something truly important, go for a hand in hand walk, go sit in the car, go sit by the river, take it somewhere neutral, say you piece, then SHUT UP, let him think. if it is so important 1 minute doesn't really do it justice, just let him think. xxx
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 12:18 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Have a TV free day once a week. We have that. It has been great for us and our family.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Sit with him and comment on what he is watching, slowly transition him from his escape route from mental stress. The T.V. is like the news paper that men hold up. It may as well be a brick wall. He will listen to you then, you have to join him in his world because he is afraid to face reality right now. In doing that you will create a healthier relationship and or communication bond.
    Avitar

Answer by Avitar at 11:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I thought that was all men,
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 12:06 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Hes a guy. They all do that =0) I think unless its super important (given the fact that hes not a total couch potato) just let him relax.

Or wait for a commercial.
    sissy15

Answer by sissy15 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• that's very disrespectful, i'd just not talk to him and do the same to him. see how he likes it. guys can be such assholes!
    xLeeAnnex

Answer by xLeeAnnex at 2:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Very rude, do you think he's tuning you out and not even hearing you?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:19 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Yeah, I know the feeling. My DH has ADD. He can't concentrate on ANYthing else when there is any kind of tv screen in the room. I always have to get his undivided attention if I want a conversation by asking him to turn the tv off. I really like the tv free day idea of the first poster! :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• AAARRRGGGHHHH!!! DH does this to me all the time!!!! I'll be sitting right next to him and say something to him or ask him a question and....nothing....but let me whisper something in the next room on the phone or something...and you better beleive he hears that! WTF! I thought I was only person who went through this.
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• ah man its so annoying! any others have this problem??
    Liz4Life

Comment by Liz4Life (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2011