What is Average Anyway?

My DS has developmental delays (with language concepts, speech, fine motor skills, and gross motor skills) and possibly ADD/ADHD or hyperactivity. From looking at him you would never guess that, but when you talk to him or be with him for more then 2 hours his "personality" comes out more. I get comments (from other parents) that my son isn't average. I have to tell you I really don't like hearing that, because to me he is average. So my question is (whether it be your PO) What is Average Anyway?

CJessB1007

Asked by CJessB1007 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I can't really say whats average but my 6 yo has speech and some developmental delays, he is in his second year of special needs preschool....there may also be some other issues that have not been diagnosed yet. Also my 3 yo has ADHD and I got the same looks and comments. I would not let them affect you because how can they be sure their child is "average" maybe yours is "average" theirs are "below average"
    mamacam7

Answer by mamacam7 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Try not to let comments from rude, inconsiderate people affect you. If everyone was average, what would we learn? Who would lead? Who would follow? Who would teach us compassion and love? Just ignore people like that. I would probably respond with "And your point is???"
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:09 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Thank you for the replies. It is hard to let those comments go, but I need to.
    CJessB1007

Comment by CJessB1007 (original poster) at 7:13 PM on Mar. 7, 2011