Co sleeping toddler needs to get out lol

Ok its our fault im aware of this we have allowed our now 2 year old to sleep with us from day one. We enjoy co sleeping as we have done this with both our children but our first happly went to his own crib at about a year old. My 2 year old refuses to sleep in his big boy bed. we can get him to fall asleep in there but he wont stay there with in a couple hours hes up woundering to our room. I dont believe in the cry it out methode but iv tried every thing to get him to his own bed and i just dont know what to do. Any ideas from you mommys out there who co slept how did you get your toddler to sleep alone??? we are expecting baby number 3 in just a few weeks and i dont want new baby to disturb our toddler who isnt a hard sleeper so it will disturb him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We had the same problem. My son was 1 yr old and baby number two was a week away! I don't believe in the CIO method but I do believe that by 1 yr they are old enough to cry a little. My husband would rock my son to sleep and then go in at night if he woke up. I couldn't do it because we were also trying to wean and he would want to nurse if he saw me. My son would cry in my husbands arms for awhile but then go back to sleep. It took at lot of diligence because at 3am it's just easier to give in and bring him to bed with you. My son was not to leave his bedroom. We never let him cry alone in the dark or anything, my husband was always there singing to him and rocking him to comfort him. We never gave in..he only got put down in his own bed. It only took us 1 week of hard nights...just in time for baby #2 to keep us up all night..hahaha. We also have a white noise toy that we found helps him sleep through the night.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:17 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• my 2 year ols still co sleeps.. we HATE it ..
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My almost 4yo DS still climbs in between us in bed. we also hate it.
    vgmomof2grtkds

Answer by vgmomof2grtkds at 11:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• you guys arnt much help lol sorry.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Maybe let him pick out his own blankets? Night light? Toy to sleep with? And ok I know its bad to let a child sleep with a tv on, but it worked for my daughter. I would put her to bed with a Dora dvd and she would be out by the end of it. Or maybe try the radio. Get him a childrens music cd and put it on repeat on a cd player, with the volume on low. You may have already tried all of this lol.
    merandaobrien

Answer by merandaobrien at 12:21 AM on Mar. 7, 2011