Are there any massage therapists here?

I am almost finished with massage school. I would like to know how business is going, how much you make, and if this really is a good field to get into. Thanks!

snoober_k

Asked by snoober_k at 9:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Money & Work

• My mother is, She charges $30 for a half hour and $45 for an hour... She has been doin it for about 15 years now. But doesn't make to much because business is ALLWAYS slow. She still has to waitress and clean houses to make ends meet... She has worked woth Chiropractors and doctors but it's not usually worth it. Your best bet is cruse ships...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:35 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• geez that sux. my instructors keep telling us all that its a great field and growing and you get paid great. I had a feeling they were overexaggerating b/c after all, they really just want students so they can make money.
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 10:45 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I have a friend that is a massage therapist. I have never asked her specifically what she charges per hour, but she is doing decent. She has a lot of repeat business. She goes into doctors offices and offers "free chair massages" to the staff and usually ends up booking appointments off of them. Now she has a doctor who has her come in once a month and he PAYS her to do chair massages for his staff. She has also gone down to the fire station and done this. She does a lot of different things to drum up new business. She used to work in a spa, but has since moved on to a hair salon that had an extra room that she set up for a massage room. Be creative and you can be successful!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I charge 65 per hour 45 for a half hour and 95 for an hour and a half. My hour is the most popular. I am private pay, or PIP billing. So if it's health insurance I don't do that. I can issue a receipt which clients can take and turn in for reimbursement but that is a rare request Business is slow right now, but I'm busy with life, Dad's cancer etc. Sometimes the universe works that way. Word of mouth is the best adv. Seminars, public speaking events, on site massage are other good ways to build business and get your face out there. Everyone you talk to today should know what you do, and where you do it. Hand them cards. Get it out there.  We did a drawing for a free massage at a festival and gave them to every person.  Each won a half hour.  Some never called, some came and went, others paid the difference had an hour massage and became return customers.

massagegiftmom

Answer by massagegiftmom at 2:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• One other thing, be careful about your body mechanics. If you work for someone other than yourself, it can cut down on overhead, rent etc. But make sure you have health coverage, or 401k, try to get health bene's. If your self employed that will be up to you. Average career span of a therapist is 2 years because they blow their joints. Stay limber, exercise, don't use just your thumbs, use good body mechanics, eat right, and get massage! Have fun, I'm excited for you.

massagegiftmom

Answer by massagegiftmom at 2:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2009