Has anyone ever traveled from America to Japan? Any tips on my stay there? How do i pay for stuff, cash, credit, debit? Anything you can tell me will be helpful. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Travel

• I travel there yearly. For starters round trip is $6000. And if you do not understand their language, money, culture, or social rules... I would not go. They are very strict. And it is very expensive for a person not on business. Message me if you have any questions.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 12:52 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Hi! I'm an American and I've been living in Japan for just over 1 1/2 yrs now.

1) Japan is a very cash based economy. A lot of places - even ones that say they take debit or credit cards - do not take American ones. Use yen. Also, tipping is considered rude - do NOT tip - it says to them that "they don't have enough respect in their job to do it properly without needing a bribe" or "that their employer is not capable of paying enough to support themselves and they need charity".

2) Make an effort to learn something about the culture, language, etc. Just like anywhere, there's going to be some people that are more welcoming / more willing to help you out or give you the benefit of the doubt as a guest, and there are going to be those who won't be at all. But, if you show that you're at least trying, that's appreciated.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:18 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• cont

3) They don't just drive on the other side of the road - just like how in the States, we tend to go up stairs, walk down the sidewalk, etc, on the same "side" we would be driving on, they do the same, so that's going to be "opposite" from what it is in the States. Of course, it's not like there's going to be some sidewalk cop after you if you don't, but it's just good manners.

4) Do NOT "wave your chopsticks around" when you talk, and do NOT leave them sticking up in a bowl of rice or etc at the end of a meal - the first is very rude, the second is like saying you wish they were dead... (Just like a potted plant to someone in the hospital means you think they've "put down roots" and will be there a long time - another "no no".)

5) Be prepared for "squatty potties" or "robo toilets" lol :-)

If you have any questions, you can send me a message if you want :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:24 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Study first tourist in Japan do and Don'ts because the karate kid...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 6:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• thanks for the tips, they were very helpful, especially about tipping, lol. I cant wait to get there, I'm super excited.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Pick up a travel guide at your local bookstore and have fun!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:58 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Plane tickets to Japan are about $1300-2000 round trip... We live in Japan (we are military), and my husband goes a few times a year to see my SD back in the States...Check Orbitz--they have AWESOME prices :)

Also, most places don't take cash. Use a credit card or Yen. Some places only take Yen, some will take cards.

Look up culture on the Japanese. That will help you to make sure you don't offend anyone.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• We went to Japan on our honeymoon and we were prepared by bringing Japan travel guides and translation books. Most of the people speak English (the ones in cities) but will love it if you knew any words of Japanese. We were trying to figure out the subway system and some people just came up to us and asked if were lost. They are very friendly and helpful people. BEFORE YOU GO.... If you plan on traveling alot, get the JR Travel Pass BEFORE YOU LEAVE! You can get the info here http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html . This is only for foreigners and gives you a discounted rate on the train system. Let me know if you need more info. Have a great time!
    TravelFiend

Answer by TravelFiend at 2:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Oh yeah and good luck with the toilets, they have tons of buttons (in Japanese) and are also bidets!! haha
    TravelFiend

Answer by TravelFiend at 2:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2011