My son

hello all moms.how are you doing ? me will not so good.as of late last night at 3:oo am me and my hubby were up because he had a real bad tooth ach.will we heard people talking out side our house. will it was the a cop and a lady.my son went to this ladys house and stolen her grand childs little 4 whller and brought it to our house. the cop had a flash light looking in the back of our truck and hid dad truck. will then my husband went out side to see what was going on to make sure that nobody was robbing us and thats how we found out what our son had done. so now i have know idea if the lady is going to press charges on me and my husband for what our son had done. we told her that we were very sorry that our son had taken it. and my husband help her get the 4 wheller in her vichle. our son has been in a lot of trouble her lattley at school and at home and now this.he will not listen to me or his dad. he cusses us and hits us and calls us every thing you can think of and iam just so tryed of it all.if you were us what in the world would you do if your son was doing this please help me.

ladybug36519

Asked by ladybug36519 at 12:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well how old is your son?
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 12:47 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Posting his age would have been helpful. Assuming he's in his teens, I'd let the cops lock him up. It would teach him a lesson and maybe put the "fear of God" into him to where he wouldn't do that kind of thing again.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:49 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• How old is your son? My first thought is to bop him in the mouth. There's no reason a child should disrespect his parents by 1)disobeying and 2)cursing at them. I'm an adult and would never curse at my parents for fear my mom/dad would smack me. People are so afraid to discipline their kids anymore, by the time they realize they need to take action it's to late and the damage is done. I swear I'm not judging, I'm actually kind of venting because I deal with this kinds of scenarios all the time at my work. I would take away everything that's a pleasure/indulgence to him. Cell phone, tv, video games, etc, and that's an obvious thing.... if he drives, take away the car, if he has a friend drive him to school... make him ride the bus... and if it gets bad enough make him do volunteer work.. you'll know where he's at and he'll stay out of trouble.
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 12:50 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I think you need to do something differently with him before he ends up behind bars as an adult.

First have him evaluated to find out if he has a problem that can be diagnosed or at least get some recommendations on how to handle his poor behavior from a professional. I would defintely take all his privileges away as well. If you have to pay a fine or court costs for this incident, it must come from his pocket. Either he pays it or he pays you back through chores and work. And you need to watch him like a hawk from now on, put him on house arrest until you can trust him or he shows some changes.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:16 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• will frist of all thank you ladys. my son is 11 years old. i have grounded him from everything.he has bipolar and adhd.he will not take his meds and when he does take his meds he still is the same way.maybe he does need to be in jail and thats not a esay thing for me to have to see.i would not wish this on any mom out thier in this big world of ours.but me and hubby fell that maybe he needs to be in kids jail for a litle while.we have had him in behavoiral hospital 2 times and when he gets out he seems fine. and then he just goes from good to real bad and me iam just num and tryed.
    ladybug36519

Comment by ladybug36519 (original poster) at 2:15 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Since he is bi-polar and ADHD, I'd have him hospitalized or put into a group home until he agrees to regularly take is medication. As soon as he stops his meds, have a go-to consequence like foster or group home. Are you working with a behavioral support specialist? Do you have wrap-around services? I found that it helped me to see someone about being more consistent with my discipline as DD has ADHD, ODD, OCD & Aspergers. Kid jail isn't the answer, but you might want to invite someone from there to show your DS around the jail.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:45 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Boot camp, Baby!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• they dont have boot camp where we live at.
    ladybug36519

Comment by ladybug36519 (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Does your local police dept. have a program that teaches kids where their poor choices can take them? I know many do.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2011