What would be important to you on a birth plan for a c-section?

I'm writing one for a repeat c-section and I'm trying to think of anything I've forgotten. I'm bottlefeeding so most of the example things I found online of things to put on don't really apply to me.
All I really have so far is that I want the spinal not the epidural,one hand not tied down this time,stitches not staples and my husband in the room,then I'm basically done.
Feels like I'm forgeting something, so what would you ladies put on one?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 1:47 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ok not sure what who ever anonymous meant by where is the bump down?(sorry showed up in my e-mail then I guess they deleted it.) But really does any one have a real answer?
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 2:11 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I wish I could help you, I dont believe in borth plans, birth is not a planned event! Anything can and will happen and you just cant plan for this. My one big thing would be to make sure you got the 24hr pain shot, I didnt even need anything after that wore off, good luck, and dont stress out on planning this, babies NEVER follow our plans, lol
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:35 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I had a c section but it wasn't planned. It seems like what you have is good, I wish you the best of luck!
    ibelayni

Answer by ibelayni at 6:08 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I have had 4 c-sections and have not made a birth plan for any as I felt I was happy to be guided by the situation. Why was your hands tied down -that is very unusual! I guess I would also include someone to take photos as baby is weighed etc over at nurses station, we have an awesome photo of our son coming out of my tummy which a midwife took. Although you plan to bottle feed, skin to skin contact is still beautiful and important ( which tends to be forgotten if Mom chooses bottle) so maybe ask for skin to skin contact ASAP. You can also ask for special music to be playing, and special prayer time for you, DH and Bub, ask that when Bub goes to nursery DH is allowed to go with, ummmm trying to think of more ideas....
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:34 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• more suggestions - baby to be wrapped -not bathed so you and DH get to do first bath when you choose ( I didn't bath my last baby til the day we left hospital), catheter placed AFTER spinal ( eww, never forget the feeling), DH to discover sex and announce to you rather than dr just state it - he can go to nurses station to see bub and come back to you and tell you, or he may be able to tell as Dr lifts baby up for first glimpse - either way it is special for you as a couple to discover 'what kind' you got.
    You also need to note if you want DH to cut the cord, if you want cord blood harvested and stored, placenta saved, baby to stay with you while you are stitched up, ..... Vit K given or not.... ummm thinking, thinking... a lot of people think C-secs are just lying there and letting someone else do all the work, but they are also overwhelming, scary and dehumanising, this is your chance to make it special.. Good Luck x-x-x
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:59 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i have had 4 c sections and didnt do a written birth plan (only 2 were planned) but i always wanted someone with the baby, so my mom went with #3 (my hubby was deployed) and with #4 my hubby went while i was being closed, also i agree with myheartx4 get the catheter after the spinal (i had an epi) i did have a catheter placed before once before during labor and it was horrible. also as soon as my last one was out and they made sure she was ok and wrapped up the brought her to my head and i got to see her and give her kisses and kind of hold her.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 8:14 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Make sure that they know if you want to give the baby the first bottle, what procedures you want for the baby, have your husband follow the baby.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:42 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Thanks
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2011