Is there a dog food good for your pet which they won't gain weight?

Nitestalker

Asked by Nitestalker at 1:56 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Pets

• Yes! There are actually quite a few diet dog foods on the market. I recommend the Science Diet weight control food. It is the best. However, Science Diet is pricey. If you would like a good alternative go to a Farm Feed store. Those places are surprisingly knowledgeable about dog food. They can recommend a kind catered to your dogs breed and weight. Also, make sure you check the directions of your current dog food. You may be giving your dog too much. My dog would eat all 50lbs of the dog food if I'd let him, so just follow the directions. Also make sure Doggy is getting enough exercise.
    heatherhall88

Answer by heatherhall88 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• There is no dog food that will prevent dogs from gaining weight. They can even gain weight on diet dog food. The only thing that will truly prevent a dog from gaining weight is measuring out the kibble and monatoring how many treats the dogs gets during the day. Don't go by what the bag of food says either because that usually tells you to feed more then is necessary. However, it also depends on the dogs because the more active they are the more calories they burn.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• However, if you want to put your dog on a good diet stay away from the foods in grocery stores and most pet stores. Look at the holistic brands.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• There are many high quality dog foods on the market. As long as your dog is getting the right amount of food and exercize, they will not get fat. Science Diet is so far from the best it's not even funny...it is actually one of the WORST foods on the market! There is really no need to feed a weight control formula (although there are a few brands that are okay). Go to www.dogfoodadvisor.com for ratings on dog food brands. I agree with KyliesMom; the guidelines on the back tell you to feed way too much in most cases. You should go by your pet's caloric needs. If your pet isn't very active, you will need to feed less. Like one of my Shelties...she weighs 25lbs and is pretty lazy and she only gets 234 cals/day. I feed Taste of the Wild and she only eats 2/3 cup of food/day. If I fed her the amounts on the bag, she would be HUGE!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Yes!! There are several stores like Feeder's Supply, Petsmart, etc even some grocery stores sell dog food for dogs that need to loose weight!! Hope this helps and good luck!!!
    Billie Mae
    jesussaves58

Answer by jesussaves58 at 11:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• You will not find ANY high quality brands at regular grocery stores!! If you shop at natural food stores, you will probably find a better selection.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2011