Do you think dry cat food is enough for a cat that doesn't like canned food?

Nitestalker

Asked by Nitestalker at 1:59 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Pets

• Sure. We were told by the Vet that canned food should be an occaisional treat, not everyday food. The dry food helps keeps their teeth clean and healthy. There are also some great dried foods that help maintain urinary tract issues in cats. We had a cat that lived 17 yrs. He never ate canned food. Every once in a while we scrambled an egg for him because he loved them so much.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:02 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• yes its cat food isn't it lol
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 2:03 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Actually to only have a cat eat dry food is BETTER than to have a cat only eat wet food.
    As wet food doesn't help keep tarter and plaque build-up down on kitty's teeth!
    Try giving your kitty human tuna in spring water (not packed in oil!) if you are worried about kitty not getting moist, tasty food.
    :o)
    I don't know of a cat that will refuse tuna!
    >^-^
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 2:03 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I totally agree with GrnEyedGrandma...all of my families cats have lived to be around that age too!
    And everyone thought we were crazy when we told them that we rarely gave them moist food!!!
    I wonder why so many people assume that cats need/eat moist food and dogs need/eat dry food??
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 2:07 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• my cats dont know what canned food is, lol
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:19 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Missikat75, all the vets I have been to recommend wet food as the primary food source because cats originally come from dry, desert-like climates, surviving on fresh meat/blood, which is full of liquid. Cats, as I'm sure you know, do not drink a lot of water. So when they eat nothing but dry food, their little bodies stay in a constant state of slight dehydration which ultimately takes a toll on their kidneys. Canned food is much closer to what their natural diet would be (fresh meat).
    Just telling you what I've heard from numerous veterinarians; I feed my cats both canned and high-quality dry food, but primarily canned.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:08 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I've never fed either of my cats that I have now canned food. They are both really healthy. I may, as time goes on, give canned food as a treat now and again, but I find that they really enjoy people foods like eggs and tuna for the occasional treat. I've heard that canned food is not the best thing for their bodies, and my cats drink water just fine. They even play in it when I turn the faucet on. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:17 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I agree with vicesix! A diet of completely dry food is NOT healthy for cats. Also, it is a total MYTH that dry food keeps the teeth clean (for cats or dogs)! If you have any common sense at all, you would realize that. Does dry or crunchy food keep YOUR teeth clean or do you brush your teeth every day??? The only two things that will keep a cat's teeth clean is raw meaty bones or a toothbrush!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Oh, yeah, it must be a high quality food...not the brands at Walmart or the grocery store! Those are nothing but fillers, chemicals, sugar, and salt! Cats are obligate carnivors, meaning they absolutely NEED a diet high in meat content. The low quality brands at Walmart and the grocery store are NOT meat based!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• you will hear mixed opinions on this topic. I personally only feed my cats wet food when they are sick and won't eat their dry food. In some cases like if you have a cat with urine issues wet food is best. But even though I have read the material about why wet food is better I am not convinced. I had a cat years ago that was only fed wet food and it effected his teeth in a bad way.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2011