Moms with curly hair kids

Do your kids let you wash and detangle without a battle? Kenzie has her days where she'll let me and then there are days where she kicks and fights me. Please tell me im not alone and what do you do?

ShaunaYve

Asked by ShaunaYve at 3:03 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He doesn't give me any trouble. His hair is curly and long, I usually get through it when he's playing with his bath toys :)
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 3:14 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• lucky mommy!
    ShaunaYve

Comment by ShaunaYve (original poster) at 3:18 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Mine puts up a fight and then when I get it detangled she messes it up on purpose and it is all tangled again. Ah! :)
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 3:18 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• yeah detangling is no fun...i'll tell her you have fuzz in your hair and she'll say thats the way i like it!
    ShaunaYve

Comment by ShaunaYve (original poster) at 3:21 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• my kid hates having his hair washed but likes it being brushed and me putting the leave in conditioner in it
    djsmommy13

Answer by djsmommy13 at 3:36 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Nope, it's a battle every time! Whether it's using the detangling spray and comb at bathtime, or a hairbrush in the morning, she HATES it! I usually just go as slow and gentle as I can, and give her something to distract herself with while I'm brushing. Have you ever tried the leave-in conditioner? She'll still hate getting her hair brushed, but the conditioner will keep it from getting so tangled to start with. Also, I put my DD's hair up in pigtails most days- that keeps the top of her head brushed, anyway. Hugs!

KA91

Answer by KA91 at 7:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My daughter is older, but we still have a problem with the hair. Leave in conditioner has been a godsend! I started using an adult leave in (Garnier) around 4. She now uses shampoo, conditioner, and then the leave in when she gets out.

Answer by missanc at 9:13 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Oh - and I found the "Ouchless" brush (I think it's by Goody? The only place I can find it is the drug store) which helped a lot.

Answer by missanc at 9:14 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My son's hair is short and really curly, so it's not as big of an issue (especially because if I "brush" his hair when it's not wet he ends up with a "pouf". He lets me wash it and then dry with a diffuser without much of a problem but he totally freaks out when I put gel on it (especially when he's starting to need a hair cut... when it gets too long, it stops curling as much unless we wet it down and use a curl enhancer... )
    jess_merrick874

Answer by jess_merrick874 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Johnson and johnson now makes a detangling shampoo. DD is only 2 and that has been a real help as it is still a "no-more tears" type of shampoo. I don't try to detangle inthe bath yet, but I might start soon. I use a spray in detangler spray, and that has helped. I also hold her hair, above any knots while I brush them out. This helps it pull less on her head (a trick I learned to use on myself as a kid). I still have some leave-in conditioner (I use infusium) in a spray bottle for me and I use that on her after her bath if it looks really bad. But since she usually takes a bath at night not long before bed. I don't worry much about detangling after the bath - I'll just have to do it again in the morning anyway :)
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 3:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2011