Need to vent, also advice with incosiderate neighbors

Ok so we have owned our home since july of last year. Since august, we have been dealing with our neighbors yippy little dogs. we like animals and have our own so we had gone over once trying to be nice and not wanting to rock the boat and asked them to please curb it. They said they would and they would put up fencing....which never happend. We have never taunted these dogs, or even address them when they are out, but I guess the former owners kids were mean to them. We have complained I'm guessing 30-50 literally, to the humane society. We sent out paperwork about it for a formal complaint, and an officer has come out to give them corrections and its still not being fixed. The barking goes on ALLLLLLLLLLLL the time. (we are planning on going to court) We can't even have friends over for a nice meal with out it or talk amongst ourselves outside. They also never mow or trim their weeds, OR pick up after the dogs. So the smell is coming over. We take pride in caring for our house and yard so all I can say is -ewwwwwwww. so anyway, We are adopting and I just found out I'm pregnant. I can't deal with the smell or the barking and I know when the adopted child is placed with us, we want to make sure she adjusts well and I'm not sure how she will react to these dogs....we can't even work on the yard without them nipping at our fingers. When we have our newborn, I don't want the baby up all night besides when it normally would be. It's not fair if its not getting sleep and BOTH our kids rooms are on the side where the dogs are.Our social worker is supposed to come over soon before placement and so we were working in the yard today to put finishing touches on it. The dogs were barking from early this morning until almost 7 tonight, which is clear past laws for dogs to be barking. We have logged it. I am so stuck what to do. It doesnt help that when we trimmed the weeds on the front of their walk that joins with ours, we couldn't even get a thankyou, just them saying there's still weed mess on the driveway (BEFORE we were done) Does anyone else have this problem or does anyone have any suggestions? We have also tried to call the police for noise complaint, per the humane society and they aren't doing anything. It's so unbearable and with the kids in the house and the dog smell I can't handle much longer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• If you live in a community that allows pets, unfortunately these problems do come up.

The enforcement of noise ordinances is viewed by most law enforcement agencies as a low-prestige, low-priority assignment to be avoided. Therefore, in those few places where there are viable anti-noise ordinances in place, it is common for officers to mislead citizens who call-in asking for help with noise problems, by denying the existence of the statute or by misinforming the caller as to what, exactly, the law says. Or they may mislead you concerning the ground rules of the enforcement of the statute.

You have to realize that most "anti-barking" ordinances were written with the intention of making them unenforceable. And in those rare locations where there is a workable ordinance in place, much more often than not the authorities find some excuse for not enforcing it.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:11 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Also :

If you have a Homeowner’s Association, see what the rules are about animals.

SMELLS need to be reported to the health department, who will come out and investigate the owner.

GL

Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:31 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Putting up a fence would be the first thing I would do. Then everytime the barking dogs came to the fence I would squirt them with a water gun. I've seen this water thing work a couple of times.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Here's a suggestion I just thought of!
    What if you go after them for the potential health hazard having all that dog feces is causing INSTEAD of the barking??!
    I mean that can't be healthy as the weather gets warmer it's going to cause ALOT of flies....ewwwwww!!! Maggots!
    YUCKY!!!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 3:22 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• We don't have a HMA....thanks though
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:57 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• get a bb gun and pop the little boogers..i bet that will get some attention.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:52 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Have you maybe thought of putting up a fence?
    MKlein

Answer by MKlein at 9:39 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• you could call the city. most of the time they have people that will go out and write up fines for this kind of thing. where we live, if you have your yard with cars parked in it, yard unmowed and weeds everywhere, ect they will come out. if you do call them up, explain that you asked them and went to the police already and they might be mor inclined to help. it called code of compliance where we live.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• We have a fence. Its chain link and we are working on putting up a solid fence. The water thing doesnt work. The dogs are stupid like that....and to anon-they DONT pick up the yard...and the barking IS a big deal. The people are rude.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I personally do not see that big of a deal out of it. Dogs bark all of the time, and I've had neighbors with dogs that bark 24/7. Unfortunately there isn't much legally you can do as far as I know. And depending on how many dogs there are, you can probably smell it but in all honesty dog shit stinks to begin with. If they're picking it up once or twice a week the yard is still going to smell horrible because of the urine and feces traces in the grass/dirt. Pets stink. I HIGHLY doubt the Health Dept is going to do something and I HIGHLY doubt that taking it to court would be worth your time and expense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 AM on Mar. 7, 2011