Location & Its affect on spirituality

So we are relocating. Since I'm pregnant I have stayed in Ky with my mother and DH has gone on to Ohio to build a life for us there. Over the years his mental and physical health has declined here. We also really have no social life in Ky. In Ohio (Where were moving to) he has many friends and family so I think he will be more happy there. My question is do you believe location can have a positive or negative affect on spirituality?

DH doesn't claim any religion, he's simply spiritual and believes many religions have some truths. He's studied most major ones, and a lot of the less known as well.

I hope with this move he will regain some of his spiritual strength he had when we were first married. He was so happy and jubiliant then. So far he's talking about starting to do weddings(We are both ordained ministers). I just hope the move is positive.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 6:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that a new place/space/area is always good for a soul that has started to die..(not literal)
    Having family/friends close by is always a good/positive thing, familiarity, that feeling of safety,
    and love are parts of those feelings (spiritually/emotionally) to make a person/ppl happy in the
    a home...

Good Luck on your move and Blessings on that new baby...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:25 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• To give an example...
    My Dh and I lived in an apt for about a yr and 1/2 just 5/6 blocks from where
    we are now... I hated it ... my spirit started to die inside, I became closed,
    started snapping at everyone all the time... did not feel safe or good in the place.
    I walked into this house and the feeling of positivity, good, safety... Oh Home... just
    overwhelmed me....we have been here 4 yrs now and it still feels good...
    Yes it can be the place/area/location that makes a difference in someone no matter
    how close or far...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:29 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Yes. If he needs more of a social life to be complete, then location may help.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:40 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My question is do you believe location can have a positive or negative affect on spirituality?

Absolutely.  It all comes down to happiness.  If you're not happy living somewhere, for whatever reason, then it will definitely have a negative impact on your mental health.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:42 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I dont think its a spiritual issue per say. I know every time I moved some where new it was a chance for a new start. It always felt good because it was new and fresh. Even if he has already lived in Ohio its a new start because he is going back and should lift his spirits simply because he is looking forward to it.

Answer by gemgem at 8:01 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• In some ways, I agree this is true. If we like where we are and have family or friends around, I'm sure that's more likely to have a positive impact on our lives.

On the other hand, I don't completely agree because 'wherever we go, there we are' to paraphrase Jon Kabat-Zinn. We need to learn to be at home wherever we are. I've seen many people (and have even done this myself on and off over the years) who seem to think things will always be better down the road or in another place and they're never happy where they are here and now. If we're having issues in one place, yes it's possible it's the place that's the main problem or maybe we'd be happier in another place (I know others who were unhappy in KY, btw), but it's also possible we have issues that we won't be able to run away from no matter we go. We can't escape ourselves, but we can change our attitude and perspective. Either way, good luck with your move!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:18 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It can have a positive impact on your spiritual being, but I don't think I'd rely on it to solve the problems. If someone is struggling there are deeper issues that need to be dealt with and moving will only give a temporary improvement at best. This is why I believe a lot of people with psychological issues crave change so much, it gives them a temporary respite from their internal struggles, but the old issues usually surface again soon after. I hope the move is a good one, certainly having a stronger support system will benefit your DH. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I definitely can feel the sacred and holy energy more in some places than others. I have found 2 places that absolutely alter my spiritual center. One is Santa Fe New Mexico and the other Moab, UT
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I think it really depends on the person. You can allow a place to get you down or not. It's really up to the person.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:42 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Yes I do...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 7, 2011