Bad doctor or am i overreacting?? Help!

alright so im having some issues with my doctor, this is my 3rd pregnancy. With my last 2 pregnancies , i was seen by wonderful doctors where i used to live, hubby and i moved out of state and i have a new doctor , which i liked at first but now im being apprehensive. Tell me if im wrong....

So ive been seeing this doc since i was 8 wks , I am now going to be 31 wks on thursday. I liked him at first , but as time went on i started to realize more and more that it seems as if he's always in a hurry, and i always tend to forget questions i want to ask him due to him being so quick when he sees me. I wait about 30 minutes before i see him and then when he finally comes in the room , he asks if everything is fine , checks the heartbeat and is gone in 5 minutes!!! LITERALLY. I dont even have time to gather my thoughts and ask him questions on things im concerned with because he's so quick to rush out, and to make matters worse i only see him every 6 wks. He even forgot to run routine tests to check for defects and things of that sort, when i told him about it he was like oh those shouldve been done months ago, they werent done yet?? uhhh no ur the doctor!!! then he tells me well from ur ultarsound a while back everything seemed normal so im not going to worry about it. I feel like im not getting adequate care and im starting to worry. Shouldnt i be seeing him more often now that im further along?? i just dont know what to do, i feel like its too late to find a new doctor but i dont want to keep going like this. What would u do?

PrettyBaby24

Asked by PrettyBaby24 at 7:35 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My docs were usually in a hurry too. We live in a large metropolitan area where everything is always crowded, and rush-rush. I solved that by writing down any questions I needed to ask so I wouldn't forget to ask the doc in all the hurriedness. 5 minutes with the doc is pretty normal around here.
    As far as seeing the doctor more often, it's been a while since I was pregnant, but if my memory serves me, I believe it's in the last 4-6 weeks of gestation that you start coming in more frequently, unless your pregnancy is high-risk.
    Regarding the test...I don't know what to say about that. Is it possible that it wasn't the doctor who dropped the ball, but the nurses? There's always more to the story than what we're able to gather on Cafemom, but if you're concerned about that, why don't you just ask him point blank?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:50 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I have lived in big cities and small cities when pregnant and they were the same way. I made a list of questions and when the nurse came in I told her I had questions and she would ask me what they were and answer as many as she could (didnt matter which doctor I was at it worked the same). Any I couldnt get answered I would tell them to let the doctor know I had questions and every time theyd ask me what they were while checking the heartbeat and all of that.
    As for tests I would say the nurse could be to blame. I agree with that. They are usually the ones who order tests for the doctor. My last doctor would tell me to tell the nurse I needed to schedule whichever test.

Answer by gemgem at 7:54 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I would trust your intuition and if you are okay with switching doctors at this point then do it! I have also been to a doctor that rushes through things and I am so glad that I switched. If you decide not to switch at this point I suggest keeping a list handy and any Q's you have write them down and you could maybe word it as tactful as this: I wrote a list of Questions this time because usually I feel so rushed I forget a lot of my concerns. This way you are bringing it to his or her attention in a very matter of fact matter. Good luck!!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I wouldn't hesitate to switch doctors now. Do what is best for you. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I think you need to say something to him. Tell hm that you don't like how he is always in a hurry....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• you could try talking to him first and request that those test be done. it does sound like someone is dropping the ball weather it is him or the nurses idk but i would talk to him and make sure that if it continues you will find another doc. the paitents have to advocate for themselves and raise the standard of care even if they are a busy doc office. you can also report them to your insurance company and if they are a larger corpation type of office send in a complaint to the parent company. if they are a small private office talking to the doc can go a long way.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Never too late to change doctors. It does not sound like you are receiving good care from this doctor. PS - I write my questions down so I don't forget to ask them.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:13 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I changed doctors at 31 weeks and am so glad I did! The last 11 weeks of my pregnancy were great with her. I had a doctor like you are describing with my first two children and I didn' t realize how under cared for I was until I had my new doctor. It is never too late to switch!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:01 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You can switch doctors as late as you can find someone to take you. My last OB, I switched from her care at 25 weeks. You think he's bad about rushing you now, wait until you're in labor and he's pushing everything he can on you to get the baby out ASAP. I'd find a new doctor. And after switching, I'd call the old doctor's office or send them a letter telling them why you switched. You deserve to have a care provider that cares. And at 31 weeks, you should be seeing the doctor more than every 6 weeks. I think around that time, I'm usually going every 3 weeks. You can absolutely switch. If you decide to stay with rushed doctor, I'd definitely hire a doula for the birth. Someone who will be there for you (since the doctor obviously won't be) and someone who can stand up against this rushed doctor if need be.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:10 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Never had that problem,but i have always used the same people.They make me feel great.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 3:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2011