Do you get more back for taxes if you buy name brand school supplies ?

This is a question more for my friend but i was also curious too.

She goes through an actual person that does her taxes for her (its free that way so no need to advertise which one you go through) and her daughter will be starting school this september. She was wondering if she bought name brand school supplies like crayola or if she bought generic brand school supplies if that would make a difference in doing her taxes?...she has to bring in her reciepts in order for her to prove she can claim anything

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 7:39 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in

• No. Brand names have no bearing on getting more or less back on tax returns. Tell your friend to be conscious of the fact that only about 30% of that which she itemizes for deductions is what she will see in terms of tax credit. It often takes thousands of itemized dollars to make a significant reduction in how much you owe or get back. AND she needs to keep all of those receipts for several years as when you itemize, you open yourself up more to getting a random tax audit (in which you need to prove the cost of your expenses or pay the difference for fudging the numbers plus penalties)--which I understand is not much fun! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• What you get back on taxes has nothing to do with what brand you buy, only with how much you spend. And unless you make over a certain amount, there is no point in itemizing.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:17 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• School supplies are not tax deductable. At least not here in the USA. What she buys shouldn't effect what she owes in taxes.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:10 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I do not think school supplies are tax deductible unless she is a teacher. Buying things like this for your children is just something that we do. I suppose the only way it might be tax deductible is if she is donating it to the school, then she might be able to write it off as a donation, although I have never heard of anyone doing that.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I doubt it. But I only buy Crayola crayons. All the other brands break right away!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:56 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

they are. i claim $50 for each child for the past couple of years now. those who dont know...should look into it
    americansugar80

Comment by americansugar80 (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I am on the IRS website right now and my mother is a certified accountant and you can only claim post-secondary supplies...and honestly, I think that this is a cheap way to get back extra money. Regardless of getting back anything your kid needs school supplies and your job as a parent is to buy them.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:15 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• HAHAHAHAHA! you crack me up! there's always got to be a negative one.
    americansugar80

Comment by americansugar80 (original poster) at 8:12 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• its just the way it is. i dont make it up.
    americansugar80

Comment by americansugar80 (original poster) at 8:13 AM on Mar. 8, 2011