finger pointing....

My one year old is using my finger to point at different objects. I have heard that this is a sign of autism, but lately everything seems to be! Any one have any similar exp?

GGMOSSMAMA

Asked by GGMOSSMAMA at 9:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when my daughter started jabbering she would point her fingers both of them at you and just go to town i don't think it is a sign of anything but them wanting to express themselves is she developing normally othrwise
    Anonymous

• finger pointing is actually a developmental marker. i have NEVER heard of it resulting in an autism diagnosis. my 15 month niece does it all the tme. and when we were on vacation, she had another kiddo point back at her! it's common. i think it's cute!
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• NOT pointing at things may be a sign of autism. As it is, he is trying to get your attention and wants you to tell him more about whatever it is he's pointing at.
    If he's pointing at a bush, tell him "Yes, I see the bush. It's big and green. Would you like to touch the leaves? The leaves feel soft."
    He is craving the words to label and describe his world - give them to him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I don't recall my children using my finger to point. I wouldn't worry based on something so small. I assume you must see other signs if you asking this question. Have her checked out if your concerned, but I wouldn't worry if this is your only sign.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 10:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• it has NOTHING to do with autism. it actually means she is developing normally. this is a great time to teach her some signs.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:17 AM on Nov. 22, 2008