Anyone else have problems getting their kids to clean their room?

If so what do you have to do to get them to do it? my ds used to be so good about it but now it takes forever to get him to listen and follow directions

newlife627

Asked by newlife627 at 9:05 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It will probably be a struggle for a while. Some things that help in my house: Set cleaning times. We do a quick pick up of our toys before nap and bedtime. Make sure the things you're asking are fairly concrete as to when they're done (Pick up all of your cars, put the dirty clothes in the basket, throwing away trash) and not just "Go clean up your room." It's a struggle, but just monitor him and he'll start to cooperate.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 1:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i get a trash can and a snow shovel, place it outside their room, and tell em whatever I still see in there on the floor in 24 hours I skoop up...needless to say they do it themselves.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:07 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• WOW Zoeyis LOVE YOUR ANSWER. Today that is my new strategy, THANK YOU
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:09 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• ooo i am so doing that zoey...awesome idea! ..i just tell my son to pick it up if not he isn't allowed to do things till its done but i like the shovel idea alot better!
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 9:30 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I have trouble with mine, all the time. I usually tell them they won't be spending the night with their nanny if they don't get their chores done at home first, and then they grudgingly do it. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:40 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I am still struggling getting my boys to get their room clean my daughter on the other hand is great she knows if she wants friends over that her room needs to look nice. She takes pride in her room now and I'm so proud of her. I've taught her the value of having her own space.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 9:45 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• my ds is 3 and he is having the issue of "i am starting to be able to think for myself and make choices so i dont have to listen". i stay in the room with him, try to get him excited about doing it an make it fun. if he's not listening or is playing around, he gets a spanking....next time a spanking and nothing to play with at night, next time...even more spankings and no toys at alll until morning.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2011