Why do some people find it wrong to...

pierce a baby's ears, or let a young girl wear nail polish? Just wondering?

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think some people view it as making them grow up to fast. I pierced my daughters ears a 6 months.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 10:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I pesonally didn't pierce my daughters' ears simply because it's a decision about their bodies that will last forever. I don't see anything wrong with it, I just want to wait till they can decide for themselves.
    MommyLi288

Answer by MommyLi288 at 10:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I think it's cute but I also think if I had a girl I would let her decide whether or not she wanted to pierce her ears or not and she can't do that at 6 months old. I also know that that is my view not everyone else's. So if I see a little bitty girl with pierced ears I think nothing of it. I'm not her Mother...it's not my business and I have other things to think about in life besides someone else's ears....LOL
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• same here, i always thought that if my daughter wanted her ears pierced she could be old enough to tell me herself, i dunno whats wrong with fingernail polish, thats sumthin that comes off in 5 seconds.
    SHADYZGIRL1983

Answer by SHADYZGIRL1983 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Wow...in reading my answer again...that last part sounded rude to me. I didn't mean for it to when typing it....it sounded different in my head...sorry. Giggles : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I completely agree with happy2bme7. I will let my daughter decide to do it or not do it but I dont think anything bad of moms who pierce their babies ears. to each their own.
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• my oldest has her ears pierced they've been pierced since 3-4 months. she LOVES them. My 16 month old does not have hers pierced only because she is a special needs baby and i don't ant her to freak out over them.
    My 3 y/o loves wearing pink nail polish and other colours to match her dress. i find nothing wrong with it though some of the excuses i've heard about not liking it were "it's unnecessary pain" -i've had my ears pierced many time and it didn't hurt.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 11:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I don't like the pierced ears because I think it makes them look older than what they are. But I'd never say anything about it, it's not my kid. As for the nail polish...I wouldn't let ANYONE paint there nails or toes until they at least understood what it was and if they wanted to wear it. My SIL pierced my nieces ears at 6 months and put polish on her toes all the time. After seeing that, I decided that my girls wouldn't wear it until they understood what it was. I see so many little girls trying to act older than they are, or LOOKING older than they are and I just don't want that to happen to my girls.
    Anonymous

• I'm not a fan of the pierced ears but only because my mom let me pierce mine when I was 3 and I had horrific infections at the site for years. After the age of 5 I didn't wear earrings again until I was 16. I don't see a problem with nail polish. It's no different than wearing pink frilly dresses and getting all pretty. People need to get with the times, nail polish isn't just for drag queens and hookers anymore and beauty routines are a great way for a mom and daughter to bond while allowing the daughter to feel special enough to be allowed in to the magic of make up hair and manicures.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:15 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• i could care less about nail polish, but i don't think a baby under 2 or 3 should wear it, just cos of the poisonous stuff in it. i think it's reasonable to get a child's ears pierced when they are old enough to care for them and want them. some girls don't want their ears pierced, so i don't want to poke holes in my daughter for my own gratification. plus, i think it makes them look a little too grown up.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 22, 2008