How do you discipline your kid/kids?

open to any suggestions

newlife627

Asked by newlife627 at 9:22 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Now that our son is 4 we take things away like toys, cartoons things like that. But we have always done time out which has worked cause he actually sits there lol. We did spank for about a year or so but only a swat on the butt and not that hard. I dont reccomend it because I regret it myself, I felt like we were teaching him its ok to hit others and that is not the message I want to send. But he is our first child and Im still learning how to be a better parent :)
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:39 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Because the naughty step (time out) is so rarely used by us, it's a real deterrent. It works better than anything else. My daughter is getting on to 3. The real trick is to make it meaningful to your child and not to overuse it as well as always follow through.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 9:24 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• With preschoolers, we used time-out. With my 14-year-old, we take away privileges.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• We used alot of time out in preschool years. I also started taking things away around then. For instance I had 3 at one time under 5. They would start arguing about a toy so I would take it away and say now no one gets to play with it. Worked every time.

Answer by gemgem at 9:28 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My son gets time outs. When he gets older it will be the same way but spankings will be used as last resort just because my husband believes that it should be there as an option(highly doubt we will have to) Taking away privileges is good too!

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 9:35 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Time outs for my dd3 and privelages being revoked fo both dd7 and sd7. We do try to use postive reinforcement to in hopes to counter the negative behavior.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 7, 2011