Question about husbands

How would you feel if your husband/significant other never bought you anything for Christmas, Birthday, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day...etc?

***Side note: We have been together for 10 years. I was taught to give gifts out of love on special and non special occasions, I have gotten a total of 4 gifts in 10 years.********

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• i would be upset and feel like he didnt care enough to even show a gesture that he was thinking of me..i don't care if its something from the dollar tree ..just show me you care. :)
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 9:34 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I had an ex boyfirend like that we were together for 3yrs and the first year we were together he got me a v-day present that was IT! im not saying relation ships should be based on giving presents but it would shure be nice to get a gift every once in a while!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• well my birthday came and went just recently and he got me nothing and he's had a year to prepare for it. It does make me feel like I'm not important enough =/
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 9:38 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I prefer not exchange gifts with my hubs. If there is something I want and we can afford it I just buy it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:40 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Honestly, no big deal. I prefer hubby NOT get me gifts because there is absolutely no thought behind them; he feels he has to do it out of obligation so it means nothing to me PLUS he's been off the mark too many times. I buy my own gifts and am OK with that. I am secure in our relationship (we've been together 28 years, 25 of them married) and he shows me he cares in other ways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Be upfront with him and tell him that it bothers you.

When DH and I were first together I told him that all I ever wanted for my bday (eventually mom's day) was a card. It didn't need to be extravagant, just something to know that he thought of me on a special day. We do exchange bday presents, but that is it. Some years he makes a big deal of keeping a secret of my gift, some I go with him and pick out what I want. We are together 18 years, married for almost 17.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i am not sure. sometimes we dont really have the extra money but he will still find ways to make the occasion special. i would talk to him and just tell him how you feel
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i would feel that my feelings were not one of his top 20 priorities
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:08 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• "well after all this time, its obviously clear to him that its ok. It really depends on what the couple has agreed to do. If you never said anything after the 1st time, he'd have no reason to think anything was wrong. He was probably raised this way OR was single for a long time and had no reason to think about it. "

I don't know. We have two kids and we both work. I take care of the kids, work and still find time to get him the little things to let him know I am think about him. I always thought that once you get married, your spouse deserves more than any other person you have dated because this is who you chose to spend the rest of your life went. I guess not. Thanks for your answers. :-)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Well, it depends. Are you guys tight on money? Have you been saving up for something special? My DH has missed some of those holidays on occasion, and it was because we were tight on money OR saving up for something else. BUT- he always made sure to tell me that was the reason, and even make me a card :) I would definitely have a talk with your DH and let him know how you are feeling. Men aren't mind readers, and he may not know that you're expecting gifts, you know? And I don't mean that in a negative way, I just mean that you equate gifts with feeling loved(not criticizing), and he needs to know that.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:28 AM on Mar. 7, 2011