Would an Ipod and a Laptop given to every kid in the ghetto, end unemployment crisis?

According to Jesse Jackson Jr, it would. I wonder if this is a part of his communist rant about adding a "right to economic security" to the constitution.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/jesse-jackson-jr-says-way-out-of-the-unemployment-crisis-is-to-change-the-constitutional-so-every-ghetto-kid-gets-an-ipod-and-a-laptop/

http://gatewaypundit.rightnetwork.com/2011/03/jesse-jackson-jr-says-way-out-of-the-unemployment-crisis-is-to-change-constitution-so-every-ghetto-kid-gets-an-ipod-and-laptop-video/

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 9:52 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Do you have a link that will take me to a nonpartisan site so I can research the validity of that?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:55 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• better source with text? Cant open vid right now

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:56 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No.

Not even a little bit. There's a couple of scenarios to think about. First, I see in the drug addicted households, the items being sold for drugs. Secondly, many of the poor of this country already have some outlandishly wealthy items. They get that big check at the beginning of the year and purchase plenty of goods, when they should be squirreling that money away or amending their withholding forms to meter it out monthly to assist with living expenses.

I have serious doubts that ANYONE in this country lacks access to these high dollar items. (again, tax return)

Also, I grew up with out a computer OR an ipod. So did my husband.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:59 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Imbecile.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:00 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Obviously it wouldnt end unemployment but it might get them off the street and playing online games.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No. Unless along with those tech toys they are given a healthy dose of ambition and determination and work ethic.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:05 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• – collapse
    Okay, rephrase: In debates it is best to not let your personal biases show (like calling Jackson a communist). And really, please link to some unbiased sources. I checked and could not find any. I'm not clicking on your right-wing Tea Party endorsing links.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:06 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• It is not so simple there are people that either WANT to work or DON'T. So regardless if every person in this country had these items unemployment would still be the same. Plus all the unemployment people don't just all live in the ghetto.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 10:08 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Actually I think it would have the opposite effect. People usually work for those things and for their kids to have them as well. What motivation would they have to work if they are being given things like that for free? On top of it there are alot of things you can do with a computer or ipod to discourage looking for work, like gaming, texting etc. Most people I know with a new toy do alot of playing on that toy and nothing else at first.
    I think job retraining for those laid off would help. I think cutting benefits for those who do not look for work would help. I think incentives for furthering education would help too. Not free toys.

Answer by gemgem at 10:08 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhdPrA0b1UM

speech on you tube.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:09 AM on Mar. 7, 2011