Bad Credit

So I'm starting school, and I was thinking of getting a credit card in case i need it to get books and such, I applied for a student credit card but they turned me down, do you think it would be that I had bad credit or the fact that at the moment my bank account = o.oo?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• Bad or No credit.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:12 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• meooma is right having no credit is just about as bad as having bad credit. we are going through this right now dh has always paid for everything with cash so he has no credit cant get credit cards a loan nothing. we were told to get prepaid credit cards and gas cards to help start building a credit history
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:15 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Bad or No credit. I'm pretty sure they don't check your bank account balance(but I've been wrong before! lol).
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:37 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i agree with the others
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• When you are refused for credit, they are supposed to send you a follow up letter explaining WHY you were turned down. Keep an eye out for that. Sometimes it happens because of an error in your credit report.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Do check your credit report (AnnualCreditReport.com) and make sure that everything on there is accurate.

The others are right though, it could be bad or no credit and that's why they turned you down.

Pay cash for the books though- it's a lot cheaper than charging them on a credit card at 18% interest.

I doubt it's because of your checking account balance though- they check you credit score, not your bank account. Unless somehow the credit card you were applying for is connected to your bank account.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Could be both LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Both.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2011