Can a Catholic marry legitamently outside of the Church?

I am Catholic and my husband is 7th day adventist. We are legally marrried, but we are both worried about not being married in our respective churches. Neither one of us want to convert. What can we do?

LaGuera405

Asked by LaGuera405 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:17 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Another solution would be to talk to your priest. He'd be able to get you right with the church
    adnilm

• Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• And this would be one of the reasons I don't like organized religion.

What's with the down votes??? I thought the advice they gave answered the poster's question.

If you are worried about it, talk with your priest or your hubby's minister. See what advice they give you and go from there. However, if neither of you is willing to convert, I wouldn't worry about it because I am sure that will be the advice of both religions. Converting, that is.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:27 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My brother is not Catholic, and he and my SIL married in a Catholic church. They were married by a priest but they didn't have a full mass. They both did whatever counseling was required by the church prior to the marriage at her church too. My brother and the priest each made a few compromises in the ceremony based on my brother's personal beliefs and what the priest thought was required for the Catholic faith (basically my brother skipped a few parts he didn't agree with personally but allowed the priest to say them without him repeating it back). They are married according to her church, and my brother never converted. So, I don't see why not. I guess it might depend on the views of your particular churches though. JMHO--it only matters if the state recognizes your marriage. It would cause more problems if you weren't legally married than if one church didn't recognize it.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I don't see why your churches wouldn't recognize your marriage. As long as you are legally married, then that is what matters. Honestly, as long as you took the vows and are legally recognized then that's all that matters in God's eyes...it shouldn't matter what man thinks.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 2:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I don't know if it would conflict with your husband's church, but the Catholic church will perform "legitimate" mixed weddings, provided the non-Catholic half of the couple agrees to raise any children born from the marriage as Catholics. Back when my parents were married, it was an actual waiver you had to sign - I don't know if it's still that strict.

My cousin was recently married in a courthouse at the priest's urging. She's widowed, but they are waiting on her husband's anullment so they can have a church wedding. For the time being, even though they are both Catholic, they are NOT considered married in the eyes of the church. Only after they have the church wedding with it be official (but in the meantime, the priest recognizes the real life issues that need to be handled whether the church recognizes them or not).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I don't know if it would conflict with your husband's church, but the Catholic church will perform "legitimate" mixed weddings, provided the non-Catholic half of the couple agrees to raise any children born from the marriage as Catholics.

~~~~

My DH isn't Catholic and our priest never ask us this when we were planning our marriage.  My brother is getting married to someone who isn't Catholic , and they haven't asked this of him or his fiance.  You can have your marriage blessed by a priest if you want it recognized as a sacrament of the Catholic church.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My dh and I are both Catholic and got married in the Presbyterian church which my mom belongs too. The paster knows my mom and her family and offered to marry us. Dh and I are happy we married by my mom's pastor.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2011