Miserable!!

Ok my daughter just turned 17, everything has always been so hard with her. Example- she cried every single day she went to kindergarten, then first grade as well. cried at dentist at dr appt. never wanted to go to family get togethers ect. All of this by the age of 10 she got a little better about some things worse about others. The one good thing is she always had good grades, now, failing every class, mad because she has to go to driving school. (Already paid for it ). She doesn't want to do anything and makes everything a HUGE deal. I am so tired and jealous of other familys. I just want her to be 18. Oh yeah she also started cutting herself. Yes she is in therapy. I just needed to vent. But any advice would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Step up her therapy and have a session for yourself. It sounds as if you need some therapy yourself. Not judging, but saying that sometimes we need someone else to talk to face to face.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:19 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Have you ever had her evaluated by a professional? Cutting herself indicates more going on. She may have depression and may have had it as a kid too. My son is bipolar and did similar things but wasnt truly diagnosed until 8th grade. This could be part of the problem. See about getting her some help. Yes she will hate you for it, but if she has a chemical imbalance its easily fixed and she will be happier in the long run.

Answer by gemgem at 10:19 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Has this thearapist she's seeing DONE anything for her?
    I ask because e had my daughter seeing one ( her first one) and he basically did nothing -did not give her ways of coping or really talk with her he just sat and said "uh huh" a lot. We did not realise he was not doing her any good until we moved and she got a new therapist - She did more for her to help her in 3 months than hd did in a year. My daughter LOVED her.

Maybe trying someone new would help. I was a cutter and my daughter is too- I stopped on my own and my dughter has gotten much better with her therapy (but she still has her days).

Good luck
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:11 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I agree with the previous poster, getting the right therapist is so important. There are some really good ones out there, sometimes it just takes awhile to find one. And I also think it's a good idea for you to see someone just to help with the stress that does along with having a child with issues. I hope things get better for your family soon.
    cege

Answer by cege at 1:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011