Still looking for work - much frustration - Need to know facts about homeless shelters

About a year where I work, I'm still only part time. I am wanting to get promoted and have done everything in my power to get noticed, such as giving presentations and doing extra work. We are still on a hiring freeze and there's still rumblings about more cutbacks (as if we haven't had enough already).

Anyway, I've been laid off nine months (and couldn't find work) before getting hired at the job I have now. Even in the beginning for several months of working where I'm at, I was sleeping in my car. Now I'm sleeping either with the graciousness of other (under their roofs) or sleeping in the video room. I don't make enough for housing of any sort. I have been looking for full-times work ever since getting hired. Still, I'm unable to find some.

I've been all over the Internet looking for advice (including CM) and getting the same old, same old about retraining, commuting ,starting my own business, and so forth. Well, I don't have money to retrain (and I don't qualify for financial aid or grants), I already commute across state line, and I already have had a failed business that I lost money.

The truth is, I need to relocate seriously. I'm in debt & My daughter is in college & has already extended financial aid. I am very broke and really need to consider looking into homeless shelters.

What cities would you recommend that are homeless helpful and have plenty real job potential (meaning new job regenerative w/$40k & above)?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• I really dont know what cities are best, but you can contact your local salvation army and they usually have shelters that are alright. I had a friend who had to go to one with her husband and kids and they even had family areas for them. They also helped them get an apartment based on their income and got her husband a part time job with Goodwill while doing job retraining. Maybe you should start by calling them?

Answer by gemgem at 10:26 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i agree with pp
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends.jsp

That might help.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:13 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• There are lots of job hunting tips and resources here:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 8:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Any large city in TX. Houston, Dallas etc.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 8, 2011