Labour without pain meds

Hi ladies,
I just found out that I am pregnant with baby number three. Of all the possible things to freak out about I am most worried about going through labour again! I've done it twice already without any pain medication and I'm scared/anxious to do it again. Can you believe that I teach childbirth education and tell my student "don't we afraid, it makes things worse!" and I teach all the relaxation techniques and I am STILL terrified of the pain! My husband just says "don't worry about it you are a pro" but I just dread the day I have to do it again.
Any advice or encouragement?

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 10:36 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Shoot lol with my son I made it 9 1/2 cm dilated before I asked for an epidural...I shouldn't have got one because I'm sure I could have done it w/o one however it was my first pregnancy and I was a bit scared and I didn't take any labor classes or anything...I'm sure you will be able to do it again all natural if you have already done it 2 times already...GL!!
    Alcavin08

Answer by Alcavin08 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i would say get pain meds. lol. i had them with my son worked great. now the new epidural pump that i had with my daughter SUCKED! it worked up til it was almost time to push. but then it would still kinda be considered natural:)
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• If you are really wanting to have a natural child birth experience just try to remember why you have done it this way in the past and the things that you like about the experience. My first was a traditional hospital birth, and my second a natural home birth - the pain was truly unbelievavle, nothing I could have prepared myself for - but the overall peaceful non medicated experience was so amazing, I became incfredibly empowered as a person, woman, and mother I would do it again and will encourage and support my daughters to do the same when the time comes.
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 10:43 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You've done it twice already, I think you can totally do it again. Do whatever you did the last couple times you gave birth, it obviously worked. Good luck =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Well if you did it twice already and know that you are capable of doing it, I would say just be strong . And if you decide that you can't do it without the meds just ask for them. I went in with the intention of using no meds, but eventually I asked for them. They were great for the pain but I did have some issues feeling like I could not take a deep breath. I am due in 9 wks and I am going in with the same attitude. I don't plan on using meds but if I can't handle it, I will definitely ask for them.

Hopefully this time I won't have kidney stones the week before delivery.
    laceyharris

Answer by laceyharris at 10:48 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I had both of mine c-section so I won't be much help but gl and congrtulations
    riceybaby4ever

Answer by riceybaby4ever at 11:11 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• One word... Epidural!! I loved both of mine!! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No, don't get the meds. You've done it twice before without. I think every woman is nervous about the labor part, but it will only last a short while, and then you will e holding your beautiful baby! Congrats and good luck!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2011