Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 26 yr. mental son is starting to scare me,what should i do?

He gets SSI and medicaid. Is there a home or group home he can live in?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

Answers (10)
  • I would search online for your area and see if there are facilities he can go to. It all depends on what his diagnosis is and if he is a harm to himself or others.

    Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:35 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

  • They do have homes for adults with mental disabilities. We actually have one here in our hometown (Florida). I'm not sure what steps you have to take but you would probably need to speak with a social worker. I'm assuming he has a social worker?
    Good luck to you.

    Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

  • How is he scaring you?

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

  • You have the right to live without fearing harm from him. If he is mental I'm assuming he's under the care of a doctor. If so, call him/her. If not, then call the local mental health crisis center and ask him how to handle the situation and where he could possibly be placed.

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

  • What a witch! Your just going to give him away like hes a peice of trash. Thats your freaking child lady! Is he scares you then put him in check. Dont give him away to a hospital where they will treat him like crap!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

  • Does he have a social worker you can talk to.... Good Luck

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

  • My grandmother has worked in a group home her whole life. I would like to say that mentally disabled people from 18 and up live their. It is not a hospital or a mental ward. They live a normal life and make friends. They work, cook, and clean their house. It is a great home. It helps them mature, grow, and learn.. which in return gives them more out of life. Which is what everyone likes to do. You aren't just giving away your son, It is no different then your son marring and moving away.. or a daughter moving away. These programs really help improve their life. Check into some around your area.

    Answer by MKSers at 6:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

  • I agree my sister has a brain injury that has left her now in a wheel chair along with the bipolar she already had. We now have her in a home and she is safe, clean, always has food and life for all of us is better. They do have some homes that are not very good. But there are others that are very good. My sister does her own laundry in a wheel chair, makes her bed, bathes herself, and hangs her own clothes up. She has came along way since she went in. There are safe good places.I have found that the easiest way to get them in one is to take them to the hospital there will be a social worker there that will help them find the right home.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

  • If one has not dealt with the mentally handicapped person, I sure wouldn't cast stones. It is very possible Mum that son is not happy at home. He might need the stimulus of being with other people, and doing other things, I am not saying that it is you but anyone needs a productive life. He may be getting frustrated which then causes his anger, Now for anyone that does not know. When a mentally Handicapped person gets angry they are very strong. I know this well from working with the mentally ill while in college. I required a few stitches and some pretty bad bruises. I will also say it i a very frightening environment to deal with. Mum O know you love your son dearly and you have done the very best you can. But sometimes we need to let go and have some help. I bet your DS would enjoy loving in a group home. If he doesn't then he can always come home. Best of Luck to you and your son.


    Answer by decafsis at 12:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • Why the hell are you calling your son 'MENTAL'?

    Answer by _Jynxx_ at 6:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.