Wonder how the Hawaiins with no elec feel about the unions now?

Hawaiian Electric Co. used managers and outside contractors to repair storm-damaged power lines yesterday after its unionized work force walked off the job over a contract dispute.

HECO executives said the strike would slow efforts to restore service to about 8,000 Oahu homes and businesses, mostly in the Ewa Beach area, that were without power last night.

"We do have management crews out there to see what we can do about the Ewa Beach situation in particular this evening, and we will do our best to restore as much of that service as possible," said Robbie Alm, HECO executive vice president. "I don't want to guarantee that, obviously, we don't have our normal full crews out there."

About 1,300 HECO workers who are members of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 1260 went on strike at 3:30 p.m. yesterday and began walking picket lines on Oahu, the Big Island and in Maui County.

The workers rejected last month a tentative contract agreement reached between union leaders and management, setting the stage for the strike.

HECO workers said the two sides disagreed on a management proposal to raise the age of retirement with full benefits to 62 from 60; a proposed reduction in sick leave benefits; and a plan to create a two-tier contract with new hires receiving lower wages and benefits. There also was a dispute over whether negotiated wage increases should begin with ratification of a new contract or expiration of the previous contract last October. Neither company nor union officials would confirm the sticking points in the contract talks.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 10:40 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• That's what happens when people go on strike. Strikes aren't supposed to be easy for anyone. Strikes often highlight the important contribution that the workers make to keep life running smoothly for the masses.

This organization, as an aside, has never had a strike before. 

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:50 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• The people of HI or the union workers? The people, I'm sure as long as it got fixed I doubt they cared.
    The workers, well, I assume they voted to strike. Those who didn't want to strike,well they probably are not too happy.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• So they left thousands of people without electric (and therefore possibly without means to prepare food for their families) over a few "sticking points"?
    Unless the 'sticking points' included unsafe working conditions, they should be ashamed.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:39 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I guess someone disagreed with me, but didn't have the balls to man up and say so.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• If I were without power over "sticking points" I would be less than thrilled with the union.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• See I look at strikes differently. If your job CAN be replaced by a manager or outside contractor, and can get the job done FASTER and with less cost, I should think companies would want to just let those on strike, STAY on strike, indefinitely!! There's nothing like highlighting the fact that just about anyone can do your job faster and cheaper than you can!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• A strike is a strike is a strike. We don't always hear about different places that have gone on strike unless it is on the local news or like now, when so much union stuff is being publisized. When it comes to a job, there is always somebody needing or looking for one. No one person is ever irreplaceable. In Hawaii, if the electric is being fixed, that is all that matters. Personally, I don't live in HI and am not affected. Storms are a case to be taken up with mother nature.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Unions don't give a crap about the safety of the people.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2011