Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Social securiy number dosent belong to my dd?!!!

My dd just turned 18 and is a senior in hs. She filed her taxes the first time at H and R block. We used the socia l security nunber she has had her whole life. She has used it for work and getting a permit not to mention we have been claiming her as a dependant now the h and r block says that isnt her social security number?
HUh? Has anyone ever dealt with this? How could it not be? The social security guy only comes here 2 times a month so I have to wait to talk to him but wondered if anyone has heard of this?

Answer Question

Asked by okmommy08 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 19 (7,080 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • You should be able to call social security and ask about it. Be careful about identity theft. GL

    Answer by elizabr at 10:52 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • you can call social security 18007721213 and talk to them , i am not sure about this. i never heard of them giving someone the wrong number.

    Answer by WildCat73 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • ive never heard of this

    Answer by san78 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • Do you not have a social security card for her with the name/number on it? You can get a copy of it from the Social Security Administration - call their 1-800 number.

    Answer by missanc at 1:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • My son had the same issue, turned out his name was listed wrong in their computers. It puy his first and middle name together as one name. It took a bunch of paperwork and hassle to fix.

    Answer by lstrickland at 2:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • She is 18, and needs to call the Social Security Administration; better yet, she should bring her card to a local office.

    And, an 18 year old can't possibly have such complicated taxes that she cannot fill out the form herself.

    Answer by rkoloms at 8:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • Or maybe it is and someone else has stolen it. You need to call SS administration and get to the bottom of this.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.