Daycare or not?

I am having a very hard time trying to put my son in daycare. he is only 12 months old and I'm just not ready for it. I am only working part time. I feel like I have to pick between my job or raising my son myself. I am still in school so I don't even have a career quite yet. By the time I get my degree he will be about 3 and I think I'll be more comfortable with it then. I know most moms have a hard time with this but at the end of the day I want to take care of him and teach him. Atleast while he is still molding. Opinions please?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Maybe try a stay at home job. Such as Mary Kay or something in direct sales?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I have only had my kids in daycare while I attended college. I looked and looked for the right place for them they would only spend a few hours there. I found a wonderful in home daycare. Now that I am done I have put my career on hold to be at home with them. I was going to return to work when they all reached school age but we had another baby he is 2 now so I am staying home till he goes off to school. Only you know youre financial situation and know if you can afford tyo stay home if you can I would stay home till he gets older.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Honestly that depends on your situation. Do you NEED to work? If the answer is YES, then you NEED to find care for your son. If you can go without working and still keep your son home, then do that.

My DD started daycare at 12 months actually. I was nervous, but you know, she did GREAT!!! I was actually impressed with the skills she picked up just from being at daycare, around other children. If you do daycare, just do your research and find a good place you feel comfortable with. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:03 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It is a REALLY hard thing to do i put my son in an INHOME daycare at 6mnth i had No choice i am a single mother and HAD to go back to work.. luckuly i found an AMAZING daycare My son it 16mnths now and absolutly LOVES it. It is so awesome that he can go to a safe environment play with other kids and learn all day i love it!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You could always try to find a job that you can do from your house such as Avon or Mary Kay
    Alcavin08

Answer by Alcavin08 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• my dh and i debated on daycare after ds turned 2 so he could get the interaction with other kids, but we looked at the cost of it and how much i would be making a week and it woudnt have been worth sending him just so i can work, blow almost my whole check on daycare, and still wouldnt be able to get a head. i have always believed that the choice is best left up to th parents, what they can afford, and if it woud be worth losing that time you have to help teach and instill your family's morals into the child.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I understand how hard it must be! Have you checked with your school to see if you could do classes online or possibly transfer to a school that allows this? That way you may not have to leave your child to go to school. I do give you a huge amount of credit for working toward something that will improve your life and your baby's too!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 3:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Honey, there is no right answer. Kids almost always do well in a good daycare (even the little ones), but they also do really well at home with mom or dad!! This is such a personal decision. It comes down to: are you able to keep him with you for that long (financially)? If so, then keep him home. If not, then find a daycare where the teachers communicate well with you so you are always in the loop (and of course where they take good care of the kids).
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I found a wonderful daycare in my area and my daughter has picked up on so many fantastic things. I have seen a huge change in her in the last few months and I really have to say that I think its because of the great teachers they have there!!
    cl1998

Answer by cl1998 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2011