Does your kid detest socks?

My son just turned a year old and *HATES* socks. He is forever taking them off and adding shoes into the mix only delays the inevitable by a few minutes. I must say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree as I hate them and DD (5) does as well. I'm in the Chicago area and it's getting COLD here!

I'm *thisclose* to getting him plain white cotton tights just to keep them on but I know my husband will freak out for buying him tights (he's strange like that). I've already resorted to one piece outfits because he'll step on his pants to get them off.

AudreyJ

Asked by AudreyJ at 10:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• lol my son is 2 and hates his socks.... he will wear them when he is outside but the moment he is in the car or house off goes the shoes and socks.... i finally got him to wear them at mc donalds... just keep trying... i hate socks too but ya got to wear them sooner or later...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 10:46 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Both of my boys always take them off too. I gave up fighting it! I got them both some slippers that they'll sometimes keep on. I've always that maybe part of it was because it was something THEY could take off, you know? Showing their independence maybe. Or maybe they just don't like them, I don't know!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• turn his socks inside out. tons of kids hate the feeling of that seam. also, kid's who don't like that often have sensory issue. they can hear the florescent lights buzzing and often won't wear certain types of clothing.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:16 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• LOL I feel your pain. I wish I could tell you when and how my son finally accepted the inevitable, but this winter I get to go thru a different problem. Try getting my little man to wear long sleeves and a hat and gloves. LOL I wish you the best. Keep on putting those sockies on. Oh I did let him take his socks off while he was at home, as kind of a compromise, and that did seem to help.
    ethan0530

Answer by ethan0530 at 2:20 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• He's free to go sockless at home, I gave up on that one! And a hat, pfft, forget it! That's out of the question too! Gloves didn't last long either. *Sigh*
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 10:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My daughter does too.....but then again....so do i......
    jamieparamedic

Answer by jamieparamedic at 11:08 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My daughter is now going thru this phase. I don't think its so much that they hate them I think she just enjoys pullin them off. She's just turned one and she love pulling off any article of clothing...its a pain but I just keep after her and make a game of it.. when I see her trying to pul it off I run up to her and tickle her feet then grab a toy she like and distract her... it works for the most part til she rediscovers her feet.. and maybe he's trying to tell u maybe they're too tight or maybe they're itchy...or if he's like me if his feet are hot, his whole body is hot...hope it works out and don't worry
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2008