How long does it take to dry up?

Im not breastfeeding this time and was wondering how long it will take to dry up or if i will even leak at all? I know its a silly question but i breastfed last time so i really would not kno :/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• about a week i think its kinda hard to remember but be prepared because it is going to hurt and they will be engorged and they will leak
    kimmie123

Answer by kimmie123 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• yes were a tight bra night and day and no matter how hard it hurts dont pump them mine took about 3 weeks

Anonymous

• i think the drs maybe can prescribe pills to dry up milk but it will still get engorged and leak a little.. i'm not breastfeeding either not looking forward to feeling milky lol
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Can I just be the odd ball here and ask,if you breastfed your last child why not this one too? Does this child deserve less for some reason? Just had to ask that.
    I birthed #3 last month,he's 6 weeks old now,and I'm still leaking. I nursed both children before him past their first birthdays,so this is my first post partum with not nursing,and it seems to be taking me forever to dry up. [My 3rd was adopted,so that's why I'm not nursing him aswell.]
    Tight bras only make the engorement worse,and seem to encourage mastitis. Pumping or hand expressing will provide some relief,but also tell your brain to produce more. The docs no longer prescribe medications to "dry you up",as they are dangerous and lead to blood clots,strokes, brain aneurysms,etc. Try wearing cold cabbage leaves in your bras,that will relieve some of the discomfort. There are some herbs you can take to help stop producing milk,but nothing works overnight.
    Jaydedeyz

Answer by Jaydedeyz at 12:36 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• There aren't any pills to dry up any more. It can take a couple of days or a couple of weeks.

i'm also curious as to why you won't be nursing this time. Do know that not nursing only changes one thing...you're not nursing. You still won't be sleeping. **grin** You CAN still do everything else as long as it's legal.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:02 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• DO NOT PUMP!!! Get some breast pads to help with the leaking and leave them alone. Do not massage them, do not push on them, and wear a comfortable bra. I had this problem with my son, I decided against breast feeding so I could actually hold him. I was so sore between my nipples being raw and my breasts being engorged and having a c-section. My doctor told me to just leave them alone. After a week the swelling will start to go down. Just give it time. Our bodies arent designed to deny milk production at this stage. But it'll be over before you know it. Give it 2 weeks and I'll bet you're mostly just swollen and not sore. Best of luck, I know this process sucks.
    OmsYankeeMama

Answer by OmsYankeeMama at 3:26 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Well 1 its MY CHOICE.And 2 I know i wont be getting more sleep.Im not stupid.I only breastfed my daughter for about 2 months.I bleed the whole time and my nipple was hanging on by a thread.No Shield,cream nothing stopped the pain.It was the worst experience of my life and i don't ever want to or need to be reminded of it.I didn't go any where because I HATE public feeding.It did not feel right to me. So when i started bottle feeding my daughter it was the BEST FEELING EVER.Also I'm having a c section again(by choice this time) and i don't want to breast feed while taking pain meds. So here you go.My reasons.I'm not selfish in anyway so don't try and make me feel bad.Im simply doing whats best for me and MY family

Anonymous