How can I get my son to stop?

my son has started lying this year alot but not only to me but to his teachers. Even though some are worse than other ,the lies still bother me. He use to be very hinest and open and know he tries to keep some things away from me that I find out later by either his teachers or his friends. Some are important and some not so much. please help.if can.I really think he should stop lying and to be more open with me. He is 13 yrs old.

incarnita

Asked by incarnita at 11:07 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• What do you do in response to his lying? I've always told my kids that when they lie to cover up something they did wrong there will be two consequences - one for the lie and one for the wrong behavior (whatever it may be). They also know that when they come clean about something there will be a consequence but it won't be as bad as if they tried to lie about it. Talk to your son ahead of time and let him know what will happen if he's caught in a lie. Try not to be overly harsh and approach it in a really calm way. I lied as a teen because I knew my parents would completely flip out about certain things and rant at me. So, if I thought I could get away with lying I would. And whenever you catch your son being honest, let him know how much you appreciate it. I'd also talk to him about how he wants other people to see him. Are being honest and trustworthy important characteristics to him?
    cege

Answer by cege at 1:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• What sorts of things is he lying about?

He's reached the age where there are some things he's NOT going to tell you. It's the nature of teenagers. Sometimes not pushing is the best way to get better communication.

The lying at school is something that will carry consequences. Let him take the lumps.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2011