My Mother-in-law always insist on buying things for the family and then when she does she complains later about it. I always say no thank you to her but she gets mad and insist on buying things still. Any suggestions on this?

sweetsmo

Asked by sweetsmo at 10:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Just for Fun

• that is hard my mom is the same way so I asked her to make them a cookie tray or nit scarfs good luck

Anonymous

• well...i guess it would depend on how pushy she was about making the purchase & how bad the complaining was. this worked for my VERY pushy monster-in-law: after she insisted and i had declined {over and over and over} i accepted and said,"she shouldn't have". then i took the purchase back, got the $$ for it on a gift card and when she threw it up in my face some time later ~~ i handed her the gift card.... she still buys things for us, but not as insistantly and when she does she hesitates before throwing it up in my face. yes it seems harsh, but i had to make a stand and set boundries.
    SONIA35

Answer by SONIA35 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My MIL does this too, and sometimes I swear it's just so she can tell other people how much she 'helps us out'. Ugh. What the pp said sounds like a really good idea though! I might have to try that...
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 12:12 AM on Nov. 22, 2008